Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

December 29, 2015

Family Fun

During the holiday break, we spent lots of time with Jonathon's family. We did an activity every day and then ate dinner together. It was a lot of fun for us and for the kids. My childhood was filled with cousins (who I still adore), so I have always wanted the same for my kids. Since they are the oldest in the family, they don't have as many cousins, and several of them live far away. Whenever we get the chance for them to be together, we take it. The kids went sledding, spent the afternoon at Provo Beach Resort, went with Grandma and Grandpa to see the lights at Temple Square, went caroling, watched movies, had an ice cream party at the BYU Creamery, and played a lot. They all got along well and had a lot of fun.

Trains! 
Bowling
Silly kids at Christmas breakfast
Riding Grandma's new motorcycle
Watching a movie projected on the ceiling
One night, Mom H. hosted a formal 5 course dinner. The kids all got to wear dresses or ties made from crepe paper, and Christian and Andrew escorted their cousins to the table. They were even formally introduced as they got to the table. Haha! They weren't so thrilled about all that, but hopefully it was a good lesson for them about how to be gentlemen.

Half of the adults ate the meal while the other half served and plated the food. Then we switched. Jonathon and I helped serve first, so by the time it was our turn to eat, all the kids had finished and were playing downstairs. Dinner was delicious! The first course was finger vegetables and stuffed mushrooms, followed by a green salad, corn chowder soup, ham and potatoes, and ice cream for dessert. It isn't often that we get a nice meal without kids and get to be served. It is definitely a tradition that I can get behind!



The adults also got to do several things together. We got tickets to the Norman Rockwell exhibit at the MOA. The introduction movie and exhibit were so wonderful. I have decided that I really love his artwork. It is mostly happy and whimsical, while still being realistic and focusing on important issues. There is also a sense of humor to most of his paintings and they seem to all tell a story. Someday, I would love to have a Rockwell print in our house.

Thanks to the kindness of Mom and Dad, we were also able to go to Tucanos together one afternoon while most of the kids were napping. It was delicious as always, and thanks to some good deals, only cost us $6 each. You can't beat that!


The most special thing that we got to do was attend the temple together. Jonathon and I, Nathan and Emily, Tera and BJ, Cameron and Christa, and Aaron all went to a late session at the Mount Timpanogos Temple. Mom and Dad H. babysat for us again so that we could all do this together. We are continually blessed by their selflessness and love. There is something really special about seeing so many people that you love together in the Celestial Room. I am so grateful to be part of a family that is working hard to keep their covenants. It was a wonderful, spiritual evening. 

No comments: