Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

December 19, 2014

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

This December has been so fun. Last year, the whole month of December was a blur as I sat in my chair and tried to recover from major surgery. I couldn't even take care of my family and house, so Christmas activities and decorating were very low on the list of priorities. We didn't even put up a Christmas tree last year. This year, I am feeling great and the weather has been abnormally warm for most of December, so we were able to do a lot of fun things.

Decorating for Christmas
It may not seem like that big of a deal, but when we put up the Christmas tree this year, it was a huge victory. What a difference a year makes! We spent the night listening to Christmas music and decorating our house. The tree started out looking beautiful, but as the weeks went on, all of the ornaments had to get moved higher and higher out of the reach of our curious one year old. It was pretty amusing. I made sure to get pictures of all of the kids in front of the tree. They are all looking much too grown up this year. Oh how fast they grow... I love these boys!





Lights at Temple Square
Since we have been back in Utah, we have tried to visit Temple Square each year to see the Christmas lights. It was something I really missed last year. We met Grandma and Grandpa H. and family up in Salt Lake and saw the lights together. The weather was really nice. It was definitely chilly, but not nearly as cold as many previous years. We were very comfortable and were able to look at lights for as long as we wanted without freezing. Everything is so beautiful, and pictures just don't do it justice. We walked around and admired the lights for quite a while and ate yummy cinnamon rolls and cookies. I am thankful that we live close enough to spend time in and near the temple. 



Ward Christmas Breakfast
Our ward did a breakfast for our party this year. We had pancakes, sausage, eggs, and hot chocolate. After breakfast, we listened to a lovely program about the different symbols of Christmas. The party planners did an excellent job in making sure that the children were interested and involved by giving them a little craft that they could create as they followed along with the program. For that, I am sure grateful. They also set up a fun backdrop and took family pictures. I thought it was all very well done.


Mormon Tabernacle Christmas Concert 
We finally won the lottery for tickets to the Tabernacle Choir Christmas concert this year. It was an especially good year to get tickets because the Muppets were there too. Jonathon took Christian and Andrew, and met Chantel in Salt Lake. They had a good time seeing Cookie Monster and Elmo join the choir along with Fontino Santana (The voice of Prince Hans in Frozen). They especially liked when The Count performed "12 Days of Christmas" with the organist. Hyrum was too young to attend, so we stayed home and watched the "Music and the Spoken Word" portion that they broadcast on television. One of my friends and fellow Primary Presidency member was a dancer in the concert, so it was pretty cool to be able to see her perform. I'm glad that they had the opportunity to be in the Conference Center and enjoy the concert.



After school got out for Christmas vacation, we had lots of other fun plans to look forward to... Cameron's wedding in New Mexico and Christmas in Idaho with my family.

No comments: