Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

September 22, 2014

Run for Her Life


September is Ovarian Cancer Awareness month. As I was trying to find something to do to help the cause, I found out that my oncologist was involved in a race that raises money for research and awareness. The race, called The Susan Sandoval Run For Her Life, takes place every year in Salt Lake City and is a family event. I thought it looked like the perfect way to get involved. We called Jonathon's mom to see if she would be able to watch Hyrum so that our family could run it together. She was so kind and said that she would meet us at the race and bring breakfast as well. She is the best mother-in-law ever, and I continually feel so blessed to be part of Jonathon's family.

At the starting line
We signed up for the run, and I started jogging a few times a week to prepare. I haven't really exercised consistently since before I was pregnant with Hyrum, so it was a challenge. I tried jogging a few months ago, but I was still feeling the effects of all of the surgeries, so I got scared and stopped. This time, it felt great to get out and get active.

On the day of the run, it was gray and cloudy, but we were in good spirits. It was very emotional for me to be with so many other people whose lives have been touched by the same disease that I had to face. Many people were running in memory of their moms, grandmothers, or other women in their lives. There were groups of families and friends all there to support the cause. Jonathon's sister, Tera, even signed up to run in it with us. I felt so much love and support.

My doctor was the race announcer, so it just felt right being there. Since I didn't have much time to prepare, my goal was just to run the whole way around the park (a little short of 2 miles). It may seem a short run, but for me, it was really a challenge because I haven't run that far since my diagnosis. We started the run, and Christian immediately took off running at full speed. He did great. In fact, he was ahead of me the whole way. I was proud of him. About half-way through the race, the heaven's opened and it began to pour rain. We were soaked, but enjoying the day.




Halfway through and still smiling!


When we got close to the finish line, we waited for Jonathon and Andrew so that we could cross the finish line as a family. We have gone through the last year as a family, and it seemed right to finish together. We were all dripping wet, but happy! It felt so great to meet my goal of running the whole way.



After the race, Jonathon's mom made pumpkin pancakes, sausage, and eggs for our breakfast. It was amazing! We slowly dried out and had fun chatting. What a great morning! I look forward to participating every year if possible.


2 comments:

Stefani said...

I love this, thanks for posting. So inspirational

Malesa said...

You are awesome Sarah! Your family is so adorable and you are a freaking rockstar! I'm glad that you still blog so that I can blog-stalk your family every now and then to find out what you guys are up to. :)