Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

December 31, 2012

My Biggest Accomplishment of 2012

This year I wrote and published a book!

It is a 160 page book of memoirs about growing up on a family farm. It has always been one of my life goals to write a book. This year I was able to check it off the list. I have been planning the format and gathering material and memories for this book for years, but never actually took the time to start writing until last January when I made it one of my 2012 Goals.

My book is entitled "Farmyard Vignettes". A vignette (pronounced "vin-yet") is a short, powerful, descriptive story or event. I thought it perfectly described the feel I wanted for my book. {As an aside: The name also has a special meaning for me because I grew up adoring and wanting to be just like Anne Shirley from the Anne of Green Gables series. In the movie, Anne's first published book is called "Avonlea Vignettes." I thought it was a fun way to pay homage to one of my childhood heroines.}

The book contains 30 chapters/short stories that describe various events from my childhood. There are stories about animals, farm accidents, harvests, fun with cousins, spiritual experiences and other events unique to farm life. I brainstormed for the first several months and then picked my siblings' and parents' brains every chance I got to make sure that I included all of our most memorable experiences.

During the year, I spent a couple of hours writing almost every Sunday afternoon. As Fall approached, I kicked it into high gear and often worked on it nightly. The month of September was almost entirely reserved for editing each story. The editing was definitely the most difficult part for me. I read each story at least 5 times, and it seemed I could never catch all of the mistakes, so Jonathon read each story at least twice and gave me great tips to help improve my writing. After we were done, Jonathon's Dad and Mom also read the rough draft and helped me edit. They were so nice and very complimentary, which gave me the encouragement I needed to make it to the end. About that time, Hannah came to visit and brought down every photo album we owned. I spent hours and hours scanning all of the pictures I needed. Finally, it was time to format the book. We bought and learned the program "Apple Pages" because Word was so dang frustrating. After so many months, it started to look like a real book!

Cover Art for Farmyard Vignettes (personal info has been redacted)

It took a whole year to finish, but it was so exciting and rewarding to finally achieve one of my biggest goals. I wrote the book for family and friends who knew the people and places mentioned, so I decided to self-publish the book through Lulu.com. They were kind of expensive because they are a print on demand company, so my parents were nice and helped me pay for all of the books. There are only 20 copies in circulation, but I can order more whenever I need to. I gave copies to my parents and each of my siblings. My dad also wanted to give a copy to each of his siblings (my aunts and uncles) because extended family was such a big and important part of our childhood.

Everyone knew I was writing the book, but they didn't know I had finished and published it. It was so hard to keep it a secret for 4 weeks until I could give it to them for Christmas. On Christmas Eve, I felt like a little kid because I was so excited to give everyone their own copy. Christmas morning was such a sweet experience. Everyone seemed genuinely happy and excited to see the finished product. Hannah read her book all morning, and it truly warmed my heart. All of the work and time I put into it was definitely worth it when I saw everyone laugh and smile as they remembered the wonderful experiences of our youth.

Here are some pictures from Christmas morning:

 Matt and Katie

 Daniel and Claire

Hannah reading a story about when she was little

And just in case you were interested, here is a short preview from the book that sums up my reasons for writing:

Christian and Andrew sat on the edge of their beds hanging on my every word. As I continued with the story, Christian’s eyes got wide, and he shouted excitedly from the top bunk, “I know this one. This is the one where Uncle Joe gets bit on the elbow by the pig.” I calmly replied, “Then I guess I don’t need to tell it.” The boys begged in unison, “please, please tell it again.”
I tell it... again, and again, and again. I will continue to tell these stories to my children and grandchildren for as long as anyone will listen. These stories are the stories of my life. They shaped who I am and the values I hold dear.
Christian and Andrew will know that their mom got up every morning in the bitter cold to feed calves. They will know that potatoes come from the farm, not the supermarket. They will know that cousins are meant to be best friends. They will know that miracles still happen. They will know because I will tell them.
I no longer live on the farm, but I return with my family as often as possible to partake of the clean country air, the beautiful Idaho sunsets, and the plentiful homemade bread. I return because I love the people and the way of life. My siblings and I have all gone different ways, but the lessons learned on the farm always go with us.

12 comments:

Chelle said...

I think your book is AMAZING!! I was so glad that I got to read even a few pgs while we were at your house. You write so well and it looked so professional! I admire so much how you set goals and then accomplish them. One of these days I will figure out how to be more like you. :)

Kristen said...

I CANNOT wait to read your book Sarah! I've flipped through it and am excited to borrow a copy and dig into it. What a memorable gift to your family, extended family and children.
Thank you!!!

cfish77 said...

Awesome!

Stefani said...

Yay! I'm glad to know my parents have a copy! I'm borrowing it for sure! What a big accomplishment. You rock!!

Shannon B said...

This is amazing! I totally want a copy, and will be borrowing it as well! Congrats on such am awesome accomplishment!!!

cfish77 said...

P.S. I bet Jonathon's mom could probably relate to some of the farm stuff being a farm girl herself!

Molly said...

This is amazing! I got teary just reading the excerpt.

Cami said...

Sarah, you are so amazing! "Good Job" doesn't seem to relate what I am trying to say! I am so happy that you wrote a book! I can't wait to read it! I LOVED living by you, riding bikes, and the bus together...for so long! The stories you have are probably so much like my childhood, since we lived 1/2 mile away! Yea!

How did you get so ambitious? I need to hang out with you more!

karensumpter said...

While my parents were here visiting for Christmas I got to read their copy. Being a city-slicker myself I loved learning about life on the farm...I'm suprised any of you are still alive. So impressed with your dedication and the results!

christensen mission adventures said...

Your Dad sent us a copy of your book for Christmas and I read the whole thing and now aunt Lucy is reading it. I loved it so much. I wish all my kids could read it also. You are a good writer and a great story teller. Keep up the good work I am proud of you and glad you are my niece. U. Virgil


christensen mission adventures said...

Sarah, It was so fun to read your book! I couldn't put it down. Thank you for all the time and work you went to, to make all the memories come alive for me, and hopefully our kids can read our copy when we get home from our mission. You did a wonderful job of catching the essence of life on the farm--the good the bad, the heart aches and the struggles. Somehow each story taught a principle of living life to the fullest. I loved that and the fact that a thread of love of God and family wound all through it's pages, and you did it all without dwelling on any negative aspect. Thank you, honey, for giving all of us a chance to remember and appreciate the good things from our lives. Much love, Aunt Lucy

Gaylene said...

That is so awesome!! I would love a copy. Will you order one for me and tell me how much it is? Can't wait to read it.