Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

November 4, 2012

Halloween Safari

Two weeks before Halloween, the kids started discussing costume ideas. After talking about tons of different options, Christian finally decided he wanted to be a zebra. Andrew loved the animal idea, so he decided he wanted to be a cheetah. I always like to do family costumes, so the Safari theme seemed the perfect way to go.

I always make our costumes because I can never get myself to pay $20 each for store-bought costumes. I honestly had no idea how I was going to make a zebra or a cheetah, so I just headed to the DI to see if I could find any inspiration. I stumbled on a leopard-print sheet that I thought would be perfect to make Andrew's costume out of. Unfortunately, Andrew would not accept leopard print for his cheetah costume. He kept telling me that it didn't look like a cheetah. The differences between a leopard and cheetah are pretty subtle, but Andrew knew and would not accept it. So, the search continued...

In the men's section, I found a large yellow sweatshirt. I decided to buy it and try to cut it up in pieces to make a costume. I used the sleeves of the sweatshirt to make the little hat and ears. The front and the back became the tail and the shirt. Then I painted on the cheetah spots using some black fabric paint. Andrew was in heaven! He wore his costume for a week straight before Halloween. He would put his tail and hat on and run around the house yelling, "I've got Cheetah Speed." Here is our cute... uh ferocious little cheetah:


I couldn't find anything I liked for the zebra costume at DI, so I went across the street to Walmart. As we were walking by the bedding section, I noticed a zebra-patterned pillowcase. For $8, I was ecstatic to not have to paint zebra stripes on any clothing. I took the pillowcase home and cut it up into a hat, ears, shirt, and tail. It worked perfectly. I added a felt zebra mane to the top of the hat to complete the costume. The boys loved them! That is really all that matters, but I was thrilled with how both costumes turned out as well! A definite Win-Win. Here is our little zebra:


 Jonathon was nice enough to be the elephant in our safari. We really wanted him to be a big animal to fit with the size proportions of the boys, so it worked well. He wore gray sweatpants and a sweatshirt. Then I made him ears, a tail, and a trunk out of some cheap fabric. Here is our little safari before heading to the church Trunk-or-Treat.


 I didn't really want to dress up as an animal, so I decided to be a Safari Guide. I wore some khaki clothes and found an awesome safari hat. It was perfect because I just wore my camera around my neck as part of my costume and took pictures the whole night. Unfortunately, I took pictures of everyone else and didn't get in one single picture. (Oh well, that seems to happen more often than not.) The Trunk-or-Treat was really fun. Jonathon told all of his friends that he was dressed up as a "Republican." Everyone got a good laugh out of that. The boys participated in the costume parade, and Jonathon and I made chili for the Chili Cook-off. We didn't win, but it was definitely the best chili we have ever made.

On Halloween night, we took the kids Trick-or-Treating around our neighborhood. They were excited to wear their costumes again and get more candy. Luckily, we made a deal with them to limit their sugar intake. I let them each choose 10 pieces of candy to keep, and they gave us the rest of their large stash in exchange for a little prize from "The Great Pumpkin." They were completely happy with their 10 pieces, and I used the rest of their candy to give to the Trick-or-Treaters that came to our house. I know I am cheap, but I thought it was a pretty awesome idea. Plus, since I gave all of the candy away, I won't be tempted by all the extra! I'm pretty sure we will be doing the same thing for many years to come...


Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

Chelle said...

You are seriously a genius! And so money savvy too. :) The costumes turned out amazing. I love that Andrew knew the subtle differences betw/ a cheetah and a leopard, ha ha! And tell Jonathon he does "elephant" very well. :) Awesome job as usual Sarah!