Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

September 25, 2012

The Long Journey to True Faith

I have written and re-written this post in my head about a hundred times. I am hesitant to share these things publicly, but in an attempt to be authentic and tell the story of my life, I will share a few of my recent thoughts.

After my miscarriage and ovarian cystectomy in May, I left my doctor's office with a timeline and strict instructions on how to best heal. Over the past few months, I have been feeling great and have really put a renewed emphasis on my health by eating better and getting back into running and exercising. My final post-surgery check-up was scheduled for September 5th.

When the day finally came, I walked into the doctor's office anxious to make a triumphant return. I was excited to put the past behind me and show them I had done exactly what I had been told and had even lost 15 pounds in the process. It was supposed to be my day of redemption after such a lousy experience.

When the doctor started the ultrasound, I immediately saw the huge black blob on the screen and knew that this was not going to be the triumphant return I had hoped for. Dr. Meek sadly told me that I had another very large ovarian cyst and quickly set a date for yet another surgery. I was crushed. I'm not going to lie... I sat in front of the doctor and nurse and bawled like a little baby. My mental fortitude was cracking, and I didn't know if I could go through it all again. He reassured me that none of this was my fault. Apparently these enormous cysts happen to a very small percentage of women and nobody knows why or how to solve the problem. At that moment, none of his words helped the pain in my heart.

When I got home, I went for a run. I ran farther and faster than I ever had before (in full disclosure, this isn't saying much). I don't know if I was running away from the problem or running toward a solution; I just knew that I was moving and that my imperfect body was carrying me. I was feeling bitter, angry and very picked on. I had done all the right thing, including praying daily for my body to heal. Still, nothing had worked.

After a few days and a few conversations with my family, I decided that I needed to have hope and go to work again. My family and extended family fasted for my health, I studied my scriptures harder than ever, I read Ensign articles and did my best to remain hopeful and full of faith. I wanted a miracle, and I knew I was going to have to be worthy of it. I fully believed that Heavenly Father could heal me from this ailment, I just didn't know if He would. I struggled mightily with the idea of faith. Did I really have the faith to be healed if I admitted that there was an alternative way this could end? I couldn't answer that question, but I did everything I could to strengthen and demonstrate my faith.

Finally, the day of reckoning came. I went in for my final pre-surgery appointment. I specifically asked for another ultrasound to check the progress. The doctor hesitated because he said the chance of it shrinking was only about 1% because of my previous history, but he eventually agreed. One minute later, I again saw the cyst and saw that it had not changed. I exhaled quietly and slowly went about the process of scheduling the surgery and filling out paperwork. I was more than a little disappointed that my righteous desires hadn't been granted.

Does that mean it was all worthless?

Absolutely not.

I still believe whole-heartedly that Heavenly Father could have healed me. I also believe that His plan for me is better than the plan I have for myself. Apparently, I still have more to learn and being healed in that way was not part of His plan. Whatever His will is for my family, I know that it will eventually bring us happiness and peace if I can just be patient enough to wait for it to unfold. Faith isn't based on an outcome. It is a way of living. It is a power that allows us to endure through any situation because we know that it will be for our eternal good. When true faith and God's will are aligned, it is a power that can move mountains, calm the raging seas, and heal the sick. I still have a long way to go, but these few months have been part of my refiner's fire in some small ways. These are some of the things I have learned in what will be a lifelong journey to true faith.

And so, I venture into surgery tomorrow for the fifth time overall and only 4 months removed from the last one. I go in without any assurance that I will ever be rid of this horrid condition. I go in needing help from my family and friends to take care of my kids while I heal... again. But I go in knowing that my Heavenly Father loves me and is with me. Hopefully, I will eventually come to an understanding of His glorious plan for me and my family, but until then, I will continue to have faith.

Any prayers in behalf of me and my family would be greatly appreciated.

6 comments:

Stefani said...

Well said.
You know you can count on prayers from me.

-- And you know what??? Sometimes you've just got to SWEAT IT OUT! I repeat this over and over to myself while running during stressful times in my life. It really is a healing thing, that sweat. -- you'll be back to it in no time. Your improved health will only guarantee that.

Chelle said...

We absolutely will be praying for you!!! And I am proud of you for being "authentic." :) You have beautiful thoughts and the world is better for having read them. I esp liked what you said about faith being a way of living. That is def easier said than done...and you are doing an amazing job. I love you Sarah!

Katie Bell said...

Best post to date. I'll be thinking of you and praying for the best.

karensumpter said...

"I can do hard things." That's what I like to tell myself! You have a great attitude and know you'll make the best of whatever comes! We'll be praying for you!

Michael said...

Kathryn says: Thank you for sharing that Sarah! An answer to one of my own concerns was written in that post. We will be praying for you! Love,
the Hawks

Cami said...

Wow, Sarah! I didn't know any of this. I am sorry. That must have been...and still be hard. I love your thoughts about faith! Faith really exists despite outcomes. I loved how you expressed it so eloquently. You are a talented writer and a thoughtful person. Thank you for inspiring me today!