Our little Andrew is 3!
More than anything, Andrew wanted an Angry Bird party. The obsession with Angry Birds has to to end some time, but for now, the boys are still in love. It was actually the perfect theme for a party because there are so many ideas available on the Internet. We looked through tons and tons of cakes until he found one that he really wanted. Unfortunately, it looked really complex and included fondant cake toppers. I told him that I would do my best, but I was doubtful. He really wanted a chocolate cake with a red angry bird, a slingshot and a green pig on the top. That required me to learn how to create characters out of fondant... something that I have never done before. I decided to give it my best try, and then if all else failed, I could buy some little toys to stick on there instead. (Cake inspiration found here and here)
Luckily, it turned out beautiful! I amazed myself and was so happy with the results. Here are a few pictures of the process of creating the characters. They were made with a Rice Krispy treat center, and then I covered them in fondant. Then I created all of the different features and stuck them on until two characters emerged. I modeled them after our stuffed animal Angry Bird and Green Pig.
Then, I made a CHOCOLATE (his favorite!) cake, frosted it with white buttercream, covered the sides with crushed oreo cookies, tied a ribbon around the base, and put the figures on the top. Andrew was in LOVE! He sat and stared at the cake all morning waiting for his party. It sure made me feel good that he liked it so much. Here are some pictures of the finished product:
When Andrew woke up this morning, we gave him his first present, some balloons that we decorated like Angry Birds. He thought they were so cool. It was a good start to his fun day... All Angry Birds, All the Time! (Balloon Inspiration and templates found here)
We had Jonathon's whole family down for Andrew's party and decided to have a themed lunch also. It was a lot of work, but turned out to be so much fun. Andrew was in heaven. We had salad, homemade breadsticks, and Angry Bird pizzas. We did mini Angry Bird pizzas, and a big one as well. Jonathon can take credit for the awesome pizza. It turned out amazing! (pepperoni bird, an olive outline and eyebrows, cheese beak, and chopped onion eyes; Pizza Inspiration found here)
Then we had cake and ice cream. The candle proved difficult to blow out, so Christian helped.
Andrew is such a sweet, cuddly little boy. We are so happy that he is part of our family.
We love you, Andrew!
3 comments:
Happy Birthday, little cousin! I have something for him that I will get to you sometime.
Happy Birthday Andrew bird ;) - I'm completely amazed!
Holy mackarel Sarah, once again you have TOTALLY outdone yourself! What a cute, CUTE party! Loved the cake, balloons, and pizza! it's easy to see why Andrew was in heaven. Happy b-day Andrew!! (Siena actually said this morning, "Today is Andrew's b-day!")
Post a Comment