Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving Turkey Trot

In the hopes of starting more healthy family traditions, I organized the first ever C. Family Thanksgiving Turkey Trot. It was a 2 mile run/walk on Thanksgiving morning. Jonathon and I marked out the course (on my parents quiet, country street), set up a water and food station, and had race bibs for everyone. It was such a fun way to get the family all together and get some great exercise before "overindulging" in Thanksgiving dinner. 

The weather was perfect! It was overcast, but the temperatures were mild and great for running. To add some fun and encouragement, we each put our own "slogan/reason for participating" on our race bibs. Some were funny and others were serious. It was a nice way to spend the morning. Hopefully, it will become a yearly tradition!

The Race Bibs


At the starting line...

 My Dad set up a hayride for the little kids to ride on while we ran/walked. Every time we would run by them, they would cheer. Andrew and Christian talked about the hayride for days.

 Daniel, Claire, and Hannah getting ready to run

 Cousins: Ben, Leah, and Granite

 Mom and Hannah crossing the finish line 

 Jonathon and Sarah finishing strong.... 
I haven't really been training since July, so I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to finish my own race. Luckily, my great husband encouraged me to keep going, and I was able to run the whole thing!

Aunt Diane, Aunt Teresa, and Christian finishing 


Our family after the race!

3 comments:

Stefani said...

So cute! I love everyone's reasons (although I don't recognize that as being your dad's writing on his bib;) What a great tradition.

Jonathon and Sarah said...

Very observant, Stef. My dad is having knee surgery in a few days, so no running for him. That was Hannah's hand-writing.

Malesa said...

Wow! I've been missing all sorts of good things over here lately. Looks like your holidays were all fabulous. I'm sorry you had to go under again. Miserable. I've decided that I would now rather just die than go through general anesthesia again. ;)
Hope you are feeling better now!
All of your crafts are very cute.