Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

December 5, 2011

Sarah Sedated

I promise it looks worse than it was...

I have always considered myself a fairly healthy person, but looking back at the last couple of years, I may have to reconsider.  I have been having a recurrent pain under my left ribs for the last 6 months or so. At times it gets pretty severe, so I finally went in to the doctor to get it checked out. My doctor recommended an endoscopy (sticking a tube with a camera down my throat to check out my esophagus, stomach and small intestine). Today was the big day. It is a relatively simple procedure, but I had to be sedated and get an IV... neither of which agrees with me very well.

I have notoriously small and difficult veins. It is always a test to see how good the nurse is. This time was no different. I had to be poked twice to get the initial IV and then when they started putting the drugs through it, the IV blew (i.e. created a big lump under my skin). I then had to be poked two additional times to finally get one to work. Note all of the bandaids on my arms in the picture. It was definitely the most painful part of the day.

I am also notoriously bad at coming back from anesthesia. My mother and Jonathon have some good stories from the previous times that I have been put under. When I was 12, I had an appendectomy. My mom said that as I was waking up,  I would randomly sit up and start screaming and then go right back to sleep. I'm sure it was more than a little scary for her. After my other two surgeries (cystectomy and gallbladder removal) I woke up extremely slowly. They had to basically kick me out of the hospital both times because I was taking so long regaining consciousness. And both times I was throwing up as we were leaving. Definitely not my finest moments.

This time, there was no throwing up, but I woke up sobbing hysterically. I had no idea why I was crying and could not stop. I was laughing and crying when I was talking to Jonathon because the whole situation was so strange and amusing. I eventually got control of my emotions and got to go home. They found that I had a mild case of esophagitis (caused from acid reflux) and prescribed me Prevacid. It sounds like a pretty easy solution, so I hope it works.

When I got home I told Jonathon that the moral of the story is "Never have any more anesthesia."

Christian in his witty little voice piped up immediately, "Never Say Never, Mom."

Ha!


On a side note: I told Jonathon that at my first appointment, it was me and 4 other old women (like in their 70's-80's).  I told him that I felt a little out of place. He kind of shrugged it off saying that it must have just been the day. When we walked in for the scope, low and behold, it was 6 old women and me. The waiting room was full of elderly gentlemen waiting to drive their wives home (oh, and Jonathon). Take that... Point Proven!

4 comments:

Erica said...

I'm glad you found out what it is. Weird about the anesthesia, though. I have to tell you though, I'm super intensely careful about acid reflux. I've known three people who didn't take care of their acid reflux well: all three eventually developed esophogeal cancer and by the time they discovered it, the doctors said it was too late and they passed away rather quickly. It's really scare. So: don't ever forget to take your Prevacid! And if it seems like it's not doing the job well enough, talk to your dr. and get something else to use! I don't even know you really, but I just had to say this. Haha. Anyway, good luck!

Stefani said...

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. Christian's comment definitely made me laugh.

Kathryn said...

Ugh. No fun! I have the same small vein problem (the nurse called them "delicate" last time). When I had Graham, finding the vein for the I.V was probably the most painful part of the labor/delivery! :)

Angela said...

if that is really you sedadted I would say you look pretty great...very sweet infact. I am glad the fix was so easy...I hope it works.