Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

November 21, 2011

PIE PARTY!: A Great Start to the Holidays

One of my awesome aunts hosts a Pie Party after Thanksgiving every year. Everyone just brings all of their leftover pies and we eat until they are all gone. It is such a fun idea that we decided we wanted to throw one this year. We are spending Thanksgiving in Idaho, so we decided to have the Pie Party before Thanksgiving with Jonathon's family and the O. family.

I have wanted to try to make pumpkin cheesecake for a long time, so I decided that cheesecake is similar enough to pie that it would fit in well. We ended up with two huge cheesecakes.... one with chocolate shortbread crust and one with regular shortbread crust. They turned out BEAUTIFUL!  I preferred the regular shortbread, but both were good. Cheesecake is a little tricky, but Alton Brown's (from the Food Network) youtube video and water-bath suggestion helped it bake perfectly with no cracking. We also did a special gluten-free coconut cream pie for Jonathon's mom. I have never tasted coconut cream before, but it was delicious. Jonathon and I ate the leftover pie-filling straight from the bowl.

 Recipes here and here

Our guests brought 4 other delicious pies (banana cream, key lime, apple, and a regular coconut cream). It was delicious and a lot of fun. Bring on Thanksgiving!

The Spread. YUMMY!

4 comments:

Jennifer Miller said...

everyone must have been craving coconut and pumpkin!

cfish77 said...

I'm sure that Jonathon's mom was probably thrilled that she got to have pie too! Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

Chelle said...

Thanks SO much for inviting us! So great to be with you guys again. I've really missed you! And another thanks for watching while we went to Phantom...I'm so glad the kids were good for you! Oh and one more thanks...thanks for leaving me a comment and indulging my complex about equality/fairness! :) You're a peach Sarah.

Stefani said...

Yum! You're making me hungry!