Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

May 10, 2009

That's My Mom

I was sitting alone in a new apartment, in a new city, in a new state. With no job, no friends, and no confidence, I was unhappy. I was depressed. Looking back, I was more depressed than I even realized at the time. Jonathon and I had been living in Colorado for about a month, and that was all it took for me to completely fall apart. It was at that moment that my sobbing 22 year-old self reverted back to my 5 year-old self, and I called for my mommy. She answered. She consoled. She packed the car and drove 17 hours to come take care of me. 

That's my mom. 

It was a typical Sunday afternoon. I was a lazy teenager trying to wake up from a long nap. The rest of the kids were scattered about on floors, couches, and beds. Mom had the homemade bread out of the drawer and was busy making our favorite Sunday dinner, homemade toast with strawberry jam. After downing a loaf (or two), one of us suggested that we have a party that night and invite the cousins over. Ever prepared, mom sent me to the freezer to get the homemade ice cream fixings.  Upon arriving at the freezer, I saw there were enough supplies for multiple gallons of ice cream. Within the hour, mom had whipped up the ice cream, baked some brownies, and prepared for yet another party.

Yep, that's my mom too.

It was a hot, muggy New York evening. Jonthon and I had just arrived home from an overnight trip to explore Philadelphia and Gettysberg. Mom met us at the door and I could smell dinner cooking. Christian ran to greet us and proceeded to talk and talk and talk about the adventures of the day. He made sure to inform us that Grandma took him to the park three times that day, including a picnic with McDonald's chicken nuggets and french fries. It seemed that it may have been the highlight of his year/life.  The next morning, we hailed her a cab and said goodbye. I cried. I always cry when mom leaves. Later that afternoon, a plane flew over our heads. Christian pointed excitedly and said in awe: 

"That's my Grandma."

I knew exactly how he felt. 

I am constantly in awe. My mom is the mom that every child wants: the great cook, the reliable chauffeur, the fun party planner, the listening ear.  She's the mom who left the city and learned to love the farm to support her husband. She's the mom that drove 3 days with six young kids to visit Nauvoo to build testimonies.  She's the mom that started running at age 46 to encourage her daughter who needed some extra motivation. She is the mom that I am trying to be.

That's my mom.

Happy Mother's Day!


10 comments:

Caleb and Suzy said...

That is such a nice tribute. Makes me want to go back in time and settle down with a big bowl of homemade and brownies... and of course with Joe's homemade fudge toping. Ahhh.. I miss those evenings.
You're a great mom I am sure too! You've been trained by the greatest.
-Suzy

Shannon B said...

AWWW. SOOOO precious! I want to be like your mom too! :0) Happy Mom's day to you Sarah!!!

Natalie said...

What a great mom! And you are too :)

Lawana said...

Tawana IS awesome! We are so lucky to have her be a GREAT role model! Thank you for sharing your story about her. We love your mom! Aunt Lawana

Stefani said...

That IS your mom! I agree, she is awesome. I've always looked up her. Thanks for sharing it gave me a good ol lump in the throat.

Molly said...

Your mom sounds like a lot of fun. :) Someday you and I will have to get to know each other better, because I'll bet you take after her.

karensumpter said...

Sarah, I always love your posts! You are so honest and genuine in everything you write. Thanks for sharing about your mom!

Natalie said...

Aunt T ROCKS
this post made me sniff

Jennifer Miller said...

I love aunt Tawana!

Gaylene said...

That is a beautiful tribute to your mother. She sounds wonderful and a person to try to be like. Thanks for the inspiration!