Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

May 17, 2009

Lessons from Suburbia

This is how we get around most days...


This is how we got around last Saturday...
(Yes, that is a CARseat)

You know you live in New York City when a trip to the mall is an exciting adventure. We rented a zipcar and headed for New Jersey for some good suburban fun at the mall. Here is a shot of the George Washington Bridge as we left the island for the first time in far too long.

We had to stuff two car-seats and two strollers into the tiny car, but we sure were glad we had them when Christian started running around the store hiding in the clothes racks.

After constant chaos for an hour, Andrew got hungry and started screaming. We found a spot to sit down to give him a bottle, but Christian refused to sit and instead started yelling, "I CAN'T SIT. I'M STINKY!" Jonathon took one boy, I took the other, and after a few minutes, they were both content again...just in time for us to leave so that we could return the car on time. I had a huge stack of clothes that I didn't have time to try on and was at the end of my rope. We promised Christian that he could ride the mall carousel before we left, so at least we ended the day on a good note.

As we were driving home, Jonathon asked, "What can we do to have a better experience next time?"

I instantly used my typical answer for when I am frustrated after an outing, "Move out of New York!"

Jonathon laughed at me and said, "You just had a typical suburban day like everyone else."

Oh yeah. That's too bad. I guess I better stop complaining.

I was once again reminded to enjoy where I am NOW and not always think, "I will be happy when ___________."

1 comment:

Stefani said...

I love it! You're going to be surprised at what good memories you really were making on this trip.