Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

April 16, 2008

Happiness is...

When things in life are going well, it is really easy to be content and not acknowledge the day to day blessings that have brought about that happiness.  I have been very happy the last few weeks and don't want to let this feeling just fade away into the daily routine without sharing it. I have spent some time thinking about what has made me happy.  Here are some of my random thoughts:

Happiness is...
       
*The smell of homemade bread baking in the oven- I made some bread this week, and the aroma immediately reminded me of home.  If the word "home" had a smell, for me, it would be baking bread.  I came to the realization that if I want my children to have such a vivid and wonderful word association, I had better start making bread more often. :)

*Waking up to a cute baby waving from the crib saying, "Hi Mama"... even better is when it is "Hi Dada."

*Reconnecting with old friends

*Reading good books-  Already this month I have traveled to Hogwarts and Afghanistan. I have learned that love is the power that conquers evil, and come to understand that hope and redemption are possible in the bleakest circumstances.  I experienced excitement, fear, sorrow, and joy.  I feel changed through each experience, and when I close the book, I come back to my little corner of the world and recognize how truly blessed I am. 

  

*A perfect Spring day-  70 degrees, no wind, plenty of sunshine, and no coat necessary!  

*Homemade cinnamon rolls and a visit from a good friend

*A new computer

*Father and Son projects-  Jonathon and Christian planted some flowers together a few weeks ago.  The two master gardeners checked the little window pot every morning.  Finally, last Saturday, they saw a little green shoot.  They were both very excited about this development and insisted that I come to look.  I love that this has been such a fun way for them to spend time together.

*A clean house

*Having a good excuse (Christian) to play on the slide       

*Accomplishing something really hard-  Over the last 8 weeks, I have made a concerted effort to get regular exercise and eat better.  It has not been fun, but it is so rewarding to see the results.  Accomplishing difficult goals gives me self-confidence because I know, in a small way, I have mastered something that once had control over me.  I realize I am stronger than I thought. 

*Jello Jigglers- Low fat/low calorie and surprisingly fun to make and eat :)

*Video chatting with family

*Having the subway come immediately

*Being able to take a shower in the morning while Christian is watching and playing with "Tom" (Thomas the Tank Engine)

*Hearing Jonathon say, "My experiment worked"

There are so many things that make me happy.  I guess the key is to recognize them when they happen.  What makes you happy?

4 comments:

Leila J said...

Neibaur, father, mother, friends, being Mormon, healthy food, cheap shelter, clothing, walking to church

Boyd and Becky Ann Kent said...

Sarah,
I'm so glad I found you on facebook! I had to laugh at the message you sent. We truly are blessed to be in Idaho and near family, but when we got your fun Christmas "travel brochure" I was totally jealous and wished we were off having an adventure like that. The grass is always greener. So, I love your blog! I'll definitely be back to keep tabs on you Hills. News from us, we had another boy we named Andrew back in October. James will be 3 this August. We sold our house in Nampa and our housesitting for my parents in Meridian while they're on a mission to Africa. Crazy, huh! Well this is getting too long. Good to talk to you!
Becky Ann

Boyd and Becky Ann Kent said...

Oh, and we have a blog too. It's at bbkent.blogspot.com

MOM said...

Mom and I were sitting here reading your blog and we are wondering where you came from. You are an amazing writer and thinker. Mom says you came from me and I say you came from her. We love your thoughts. I was actually thinking about the same thing a few days ago. I was really happy and I thought, "I need to really enjoy this happy time." I think when you identify what it is that makes you happy, it helps you to feel your blessings and to have a life of happiness as a result gratefulness.