Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

April 20, 2008

Recognizing the Master

Today at church, our Stake President gave an excellent talk on service.  I have heard similar talks many times before, but for some reason, today I had what Oprah calls an "Aha" moment. You know...one of those "Why didn't I ever understand this before? It all seems so simple now" moments.  

He told a story of sitting in a symphony in Vienna.  The program had just ended and the crowd rose to their feet and applauded for several minutes.  The conductor bowed to the pleased audience, and then very humbly pointed to an old bearded man sitting at the very top of the concert hall near them.  The whole crowd turned to this very ordinary looking man, and the cheers and clapping thundered even louder.  President Buckner said he couldn't understand the response until it was announced that this simple looking man was the composer of the grand symphony they had just experienced.  The Master.  They hadn't recognized the Master.

President Buckner then posed the question, "Would you recognize the Master (Christ)?" This question is also one that I have heard before.  

I thought to myself...

Of course, I would recognize him.

He would look like all of those Greg Olsen paintings we have in our house.

Wait...probably not.  Perhaps that's not the most effective way of recognizing someone. 

He probably wants us to think about all of the qualities He would have.  Yes, I guess that's how to truly "recognize" someone.

I was awakened from my thoughts as the talk took a different turn.  President Buckner was now talking about service.  He told several stories of attending service projects because he was supposed to or simply doing it out of guilt.  Those days had been long and unfulfilling because of His negative attitude.  He said that in each of these situations, he had not recognized the Master. 

He then emphasized that service isn't just about helping someone else; it is about receiving Christ into our hearts and developing the virtues that He has. This is what it means to recognize the Master.  It is only when we serve with hearts full of charity that we truly see Him and those around us as they really are. 

My mind drifts back to an old Young Women's song...

"Will you know Him when He comes again because you will be like Him?"

I understand now.

If I learn to serve like Him, I can develop qualities like Him.

Only then will I recognize Him.

I guess that the best way to know the Savior is to do what He did.  Serve others.  Each sincere act brings us a little closer to knowing and becoming like Christ... recognizing the Master.  If you think about it that way, those who are serving are really the greatest recipients. Well, there's my "Aha" for the day.  It was much more eloquent and clear from the pulpit, but I really enjoyed it and wanted to share.
-S

1 comment:

LeolaniNYC said...

that is a beautiful AHA moment! reading your entry made me think about what he said again and you're so right! i need to work on my service and not look at it as projects but times when i can try to recognize the Master.