Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

August 31, 2022

BYU Teaching Award

Back at the beginning of the summer, we received a letter in the mail telling us that Jonathon had won a prestigious award at BYU. He was nominated by his department and college, and then chosen by the University administration. 

Here is a description of the award from the BYU website:
Early Career Teaching Award
Awarded by the university and recognized at the Annual University Conference. This award encourages and acknowledges outstanding promise and contributions in teaching by faculty at an early stage of their career. Recipients of this award should have been faculty members at BYU for at least 3 years, but not more than 10 years, and in a rank of Assistant or Associate Professor. This award is for a 3-year term and carries a $3,000 annual salary stipend and a $5,000 annual support award. It is not renewable.
We were thrilled because it came with money for his lab and for us, but mostly because it recognized all of the hard work Jonathon has put in for the last 7 years. He wasn't allowed to tell anyone about the award until it was officially presented at the end of August at University Conference, so we had to keep it a secret for a few months. Jonathon kept telling me I didn't have to take a day of work off to be there at the ceremony, but I wouldn't have missed it! We got a front row seat at University Conference for the general session as well as the faculty session, where it was actually presented. We also got to go to a meet and greet with refreshments afterward. What a wonderful honor for Jonathon. We are all so proud of him!


In case it is hard to read, this is what was written in the program under his picture:
During his time at BYU, Jonathon T. Hill has created two much-needed graduate courses, elevated the cell biology course, and inspired his colleagues to be better teachers. His innovative and student-focused approaches shine in his lab--students under his mentorship have conducted high-level research on heart development and created licensed technology.

This is the sweet, humble statement Jonathon put on Facebook when he announced the award. He is the best and really deserved it!
I felt so honored to receive the BYU Early Career Teaching Award today. 

Seven years ago, I started teaching at BYU...and boy was I unprepared. I had spent my Graduate and Postdoc time learning and conducting cutting-edge research, but nothing from those years had really prepared me to be handed some course materials and told to teach undergraduates how the cell works. I did not know how to explain difficult concepts, write decent test questions, create effective learning activities, or pretty much anything else in the classroom. Worse, I had no idea how to help a student who is working through mental or physical health issues, dealing with family problems at home, or trying to overcome traumatic experiences in their past. So, I did two things. 

First, I turned to my awesome wife and trained teacher, Sarah, to get me thinking about learning objectives, assessments, and all of the other basics of being a teacher. I also told my students that, while I would teach them Cell Biology, they would teach me how to be an effective professor. Since that day, I have actively sought and implemented their feedback, and both my class and I are better for it.

That is why this award means so much to me. Not because it says I am a good teacher (I have so much more to learn), but because it reminds me of all the great students I have gotten to work with and all the things they have taught me. I am so grateful for the influence they have been and continue to be in my life. Because of them, teaching is the most fulfilling part of my job and makes me want to come to work every day. 

No comments: