Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

November 2, 2020

Halloween Cookies and a Field Trip

We had a few ups and downs this week. The kids were awesome at the beginning of the week. They worked hard and got a lot done. On Wednesday, we got word that Jonathon was in contact with a lab student that tested positive for coronavirus, so BYU immediately sent him home for quarantine for the next two weeks. The contact was very minimal (5 feet away and both wearing masks), but he has to follow the rules. 

Technically, the rest of us do not have to quarantine because we are another step removed from the exposure, but we are still trying to be careful, so that impacted a lot of things we could do, including playing with friends and trick-or-treating. The extra stress of everything (and having Dad trying to work from home all day) made homeschool the last few days a little tense and more of a struggle, but we got through it. Here are some highlights of the week from the boys:

Christian: For Science this week, I did a presentation on how to find the distance of faraway stars using parallax. I used trigonometry to calculate the actual distance. It was fun to research it and share it with a group. For cooking class, we decorated Halloween cookies with Grandma. I made a Home Alone cookie, and we also made spiders. They tasted so good!



Andrew: I liked learning about black holes this week. My research topic was "spaghettification". Spaghettification is when the gravity of an object is so high that it stretches everything out. Black holes have really high gravity, so everything that goes into a black hole gets stretched and deformed. For history, we learned about the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. We watched a YouTube video that showed evidence that they might not have been in Babylon, but actually in Ninevah. I'm not sure what the truth is.

Hyrum: I had my second basketball game this week. I scored two points and almost got another hoop. I got a new math book that is really fun. It is easier and more fun than my other one. 

Field Trip!

On Thursday afternoon, I knew the boys needed to get out of the house and do something fun. We decided to go on a field trip to a working farm and pumpkin patch where we could be outside and could easily physical distance. We went to Rowley's Red Barn in Santaquin. We had never been before, but it was awesome. Jonathon couldn't go with us, but the rest of us had a blast! We went right when it opened, so there were only a few people there. We went on a hayride through the orchards and then got to do a bunch of activities including: mini tractor races, potato sack slides, apples canons, bounce mats, and a corn maze. Everyone's favorite thing, however, was the zipline. It was small enough that it wasn't scary, but big enough that it was still fun. All of us, even Hyrum, went on it. We played around in "The Back 40" for about an hour. Then we went back to the big red barn and got donuts and ice cream. It was a nice break from the ordinary.




No comments: