My sister-in-law, Kym, was looking for a beautiful place to take fall pictures of her kids, and she asked if I knew of anywhere. I promptly told her about my favorite place for photos -- Paul Ream Wilderness Park. After I told her how much I loved it, I realized I should probably go over and make sure that it really was as good as I remembered. I did a little reconnaissance work by taking some photos, and my boys served as the guinea pigs. We needed some updated pictures though, so it was a win-win situation. The boys were such good sports, and we got some great ones. It was hard to choose just one of each kid, but I think these are my favorites. They look so grown-up. Where does the time go?
We have finally started going back to church every week now. Technically, our ward is divided into two parts, and half of the ward goes each week, while the other half watches the online broadcast. It is still strange and surreal to wear masks and do things differently, but we are slowly getting used to it. We start by listening (no singing allowed yet) to a hymn and then 2 brief talks. The Sacrament is done at the end of the meeting. For those not attending in-person, they have been authorized to do at-home Sacrament only directly after the broadcast. I think it is to encourage members to start getting used to the meeting schedules again and being more committed to returning to full attendance when it is possible. Since Jonathon is in the Bishopric and cannot be with us to administer the Sacrament at home after the broadcast, our family (and the other Bishopric members' families) has been invited to attend weekly.
At first I was just a little sad that home church was ending because we have LOVED it, but after going back these last few weeks, I have realized how important it is to attend weekly as a ward. I felt a lot of love for my ward members that were there. Attendance was pretty sparse (even knowing only half of the ward was invited), but I could feel the testimonies of those faithful members who were there. Christian has been one of the only young men to attend, so he has had a lot of responsibility with preparing and passing the Sacrament. It has been good for him. The kids were also out of practice at sitting still and listening for the whole meeting, but I think that will come back as we continue to attend regularly. After the Sacrament meeting is over, Young Men/Young Women, Priesthood, Relief Society, and Sunday School are held via Zoom. They alternate weeks based on the normal schedule. Online meetings are not typically the best way to feel the Spirit and learn the Gospel, but I have come to see what a miracle it is that we are able to meet this way. It reminds me of the talk that was given in conference that said, "The pandemic was not a surprise to our Heavenly Father." He knew what was coming and prepared the way so that the Gospel could move forward. That gives me hope for the future.
I know the Bishopric worries that we will lose many members because of the quarantine. For many people it is easy to just stop making the effort to teach the gospel in the home. Once the habit of not going to church is formed, it might end up being hard to break. I understand the worries, but I also hope this whole situation will make many of us better and stronger. Having to struggle through something like this helps to solidify how important it really is. For example, my temple attendance had been pretty dismal for the last few years because we were so busy with kids and activities. Now that attending the temple is not currently a possibility, I realize how much I took it for granted. I hope that I will remember this for the rest of my life and commit to do better. Lessons like these abound if we just look for them.




No comments:
Post a Comment