Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

October 11, 2020

Peace Among the Chaos

This was a pretty simple, calm week after the fun and adventures with Grandpa and Grandma Christensen last week. It is crazy to believe that the first term of school ended on Friday. We are already a quarter of the way through the school year... and we are actually surviving and thriving! 

Here are some things we did in homeschool this week in the boys' own words:

Hyrum: "I loved that we learned about seals in Marine Biology. After the lesson I found my stuffed animal seal that I named Doggy. I also got to do a Kiwi Crate project with my Grandpa. We made a kaleidoscope, and it was super cool. I worked hard this week, and one day I got math done before my brother was even home from Seminary (8:30 am)."

Andrew: "I liked that I finished the first half of The Good and the Beautiful for Language Arts. I get to move on to the second book next week! On Friday, we watched a movie called "Dolphin Reef" for Marine Biology. We got to have popcorn with our movie. I also got to go to Robotics Club and see everyone's creations with their Lego Mindstorms."


Christian: "I finished term 1 of English this week. I had to write a funny story that used oxymorons, euphemisms, hyperbole, and understatements. It was about a rat named Ned who wanted a fancy hat and suit. I enjoyed writing the silly story. I also went to Robotics Club and won the competition we had. There were 5 devices there, but mine was the only one that worked correctly. Haha!"

---------------------------------------
In non-homeschool related news... 

Utah is now considered a hotspot for coronavirus. At the end of August, we were doing really well with only about 300 cases per day. The governor challenged us to get below 400 so that our schools could safely open. We did it, but then BYU and UVU opened up. The cases per day jumped... and jumped quickly! Within a few weeks, we were over 1000 cases a day. This week we set a record with over 1,500 cases in one day. The hospitalizations are up too, but it seems like deaths are staying pretty low. I have no idea what this fall and winter will hold. It seems like the virus is spiking everywhere, so during cold and flu season, that could be a big problem. Luckily, our little family is safe and healthy, and we don't have to worry about all the craziness going on with public schools.

Last week was the first Presidential debate. I have been so sick of politics lately that I chose not to watch it. I have already heard plenty from these two candidates, and I knew that nothing they would say would be new or a surprise. What I wasn't expecting was how awful the debate would be. Friends and family members described it to me, and snippets of it were all over the news. These two men who are running for President behaved like angry 5 year olds who were throwing tantrums. There was name-calling, interrupting, and every form of disrespect imaginable. I cannot even believe that of all the people in the country, these are the two people that we narrowed the presidency down to. It is easy to get frustrated, nervous, and even fearful when you see all the crazy political and racial divisions that have taken place recently. 

Luckily, last Sunday brought me peace among the chaos because it was General Conference! We listened to all the sessions and came away feeling optimistic even in the midst of trials. There were so many powerful talks, and I definitely need to go back and re-listen to them, but here are some of my main takeaways:

President Nelson: "Unusual times can bring unusual rewards." We need to use this unique time to grow spiritually. "Our spirits long to progress."

Elder Bednar: This pandemic has "proved, examined, and tried us", but "He shall consecrate our afflictions for our good." We can not be spiritually casual and complacent. What have we learned? What do we need to improve?

Michelle D. Craig: Pray for the Lord to open your eyes to see clearly and see each other deeply! What am I doing that I should stop doing? What am I not doing that I should start doing?

Elder Rasband: We need to live so that we can be "Recommended to the Lord" by expanding our scripture study, family history work, and prayers of faith.

Elder Oaks: We must root out racism and understand the limits of our rights and duties. Peaceful protests are protected, but mobs and anarchy are illegal. "The U.S. is uniquely equipped to unify a diverse society. The key is Constitutional Patriotism." -Yale researchers

W. Christopher Waddell: Better days are ahead. We must prepare in wisdom and order. "True faith is focused on Jesus Christ and always leads to action."

Matthew S. Holland: We cannot become perfect, except through suffering. God shall wipe away all tears.

Elder Uchtdorf: "This virus did not catch Heavenly Father by surprise. God has prepared His children and His church for this time."

Elder Ballard: We must redouble our efforts in prayer. The Savior prayed and then went about doing good. We can improve and help others to do the same. Prayer will influence scientists. Prayer will comfort those mourning. After we pray, get off our knees and go help!

Elder Anderson: "We never have to experience spiritual distance from our Savior, Jesus Christ." In the last 10 years, 30 million people have stepped away from Christianity. "If the world is going to speak less of Him, who is going to speak more of Him? We are! "We all need to be more open and bold in speaking about Christ. We need to care more about "being His followers than about being liked by our followers." "Those who believe in Jesus Christ will need each other's friendship and support in the coming days."

President Nelson: *I need to learn and study a lot more about the Gathering of Israel. Israel can mean "Let God Prevail." "Are you willing to let God prevail? Will you allow His voice to take priority? Are you willing to have His will swallowed up in yours?"

Elder Eyring: "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be! Life is a test!" God has the power to make our journey easier, yet sometimes we need to suffer and be tested. He sends the Holy Ghost to comfort and guide us. He may show us the next step, but rarely the distant future."

Elder Holland: *This talk was just so beautiful. I loved the message, but I also loved his wording! "We can't be like Christ if we do not experience suffering in our lives." "Our lives cannot be faith-filled and stress-free." "Christianity is comforting, but often not comfortable." "When will our troubles be lifted? By and by. It is not our decision. Those were settled in a private garden and a very public hill long ago."

President Nelson: "Look forward with joy, and achieve our divine potential." Our new normal should be: turn to Jesus Christ, repent daily, be pure in thought, minister, keep an eternal perspective, magnify your callings, prepare ourselves and the world for the Second Coming of the Savior!"

The words from our Prophets, Apostles, and Church leaders were just so timely, and were exactly what we need in our world today. I loved Conference and am grateful for the chance to have the Gospel on the earth today.


No comments: