Cousin McKay got to stay with us for a few days during the Summer. One night I was feeling restless and really wanted to go do something. I noticed that the Spanish Fork Rodeo was going on.
My family used to go to the Caldwell Night Rodeo every year when we were growing up, but we had never taken our family to the rodeo. I decided I really wanted to go, so I talked to Jonathon about it. He was fine with the idea, so we loaded everyone up and went to the rodeo. I'm not usually very good at being spontaneous, but it ended up being really fun.
When we first got there, it was over 90 degrees, and the sun was shining right on us. I was worried it was going to be miserable, but soon enough, the sun went down a little bit, and we were able to get some relief, but not before we got a big pineapple ice cream for everyone to share. That seemed to help everyone's morale.
We saw calf roping, bucking bronc riding, steer wrestling, and barrel racing. At one point they even had a mutton busting competition for little kids. 5, 6, and 7 year olds were out there hanging upside down on sheep as they raced down the arena. Hyrum really wanted to do it, and begged me to let him go down there. (No way!) Andrew just thought those little kids were crazy. I guess that accurately shows my kid's personalities.
As it started getting dark, they announced a special event... Kenny the Cowboy's Steel Rodeo. Basically it was two guys doing crazy motorcycle tricks. They brought out a huge jump and a landing pad. They did tricks for about 15 minutes. The tricks were insane! Somersaults, jumps, completely letting go of the motorcycle in mid-air, etc. It was far and away the boy's favorite thing of the whole night.
The last event was bull riding. It is usually my favorite event, but our seats weren't the best, so we couldn't see very well. By that time, it was getting really late and the kids were exhausted, so we watched a few rides and then decided to head home. It was a fun night, and I am glad we got to take the kids to do something new.



No comments:
Post a Comment