Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

July 22, 2019

Hyrum's 6th Birthday

Hyrum loves his stuffed monkey named Monkey Bunky Wunky. He has had it since he was a little baby and sleeps with it every night. When it came time for him to have his first friend birthday party this year, I asked him what theme he wanted, and he said, "a monkey party!"

Since his birthday is in the middle of summer, we could do an outdoor party, which eliminated so much mess and stress. We decided to do it at the local park, which worked perfectly with the monkey theme. He invited some of his friends from church (including his bestie, Cole Vigue), and his cousins, Caleb and Asher.


For our first activity, we let the kids play around on the playground equipment for a while. I brought squirt bottles and let them spray each other when they got hot. Then we did a beanbag toss. The kids got to throw beanbags through the mouth of giant monkey that I painted on foam board. It looked just like his stuffed monkeys, so he thought it was so cool. That does a mom's heart good!


Next, was a monkey treasure hunt. Before the kids arrived, I hid a bunch of clues around the playground. They were written on the back of little banana pictures. I gave them the first clue, and then they would go find the next banana. At the end of the treasure hunt was a treasure box full of little gift bags for each of the kids to take home.

After the activities, we had pizza and soda (and bananas!) for lunch. Then we opened presents and ate monkey cupcakes and banana creamies.



Hyrum had a lot of fun, and the party was pretty easy to put together, which was a relief for me. Hyrum is just so full of life, and I love to see how excited he is for everything. It makes it all worth it. Here are some things about Hyrum at 6:

Favorite Foods: Pizza, Ice Cream, Popcorn, Cream Soda, Slurpees, Cereal, Smoothies
Favorite Activities: Play Switch, Watch TV, Play basketball, Go to School
Favorite Book or Movie: Tarzan, Incredibles 2
Interests: Riding scooter, Playing with older brothers, Playing Mario Rabbids, Playing with Balloons
What he wants to be when he grows up: Someone who helps at stores, a Miner
Great Characteristics: Energetic, fun, great reader, friendly 


No comments: