Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

February 4, 2019

New Appliances

I hate making big purchases.

It is the worst!

Not only am I super frugal and hate spending money, but I also tend to get really overwhelmed trying to make the perfect decision. Jonathon likes to be careful too, but he gets less stressed about it, which is something I really need. We are a good team that way.

While Jonathon was gone to a conference at the beginning of January, our fridge completely died. We knew that it was having trouble already, but we were trying to get every last minute out of it. It got to the point that all of our freezer food thawed and the food in the fridge spoiled because it wouldn't stay cold. It was so sad! It was not a good time to spend a lot of money since we have our big cruise coming up in a few months and are going to be spending a lot on it, but we really had no choice.

When Jonathon got home, we went shopping for new appliances. The fridge definitely needed replacing, and our microwave has had a huge crack in it for the last few months. I have been worried about it, so we decided that we should replace it too. We stopped at Lowe's first and browsed their selection. It was pretty pathetic, and there wasn't really a salesman there to help us, but after looking at them, I did decide that I really wanted a French door refrigerator with a freezer on the bottom. I loved the idea of having a wider fridge to fit bigger things in. That style tends to be a little more expensive, but since fridges last so long, Jonathon convinced me to try to find one that I actually wanted.

Next, we headed to RC Willey. The shopping experience was night and day. We had an awesome salesman to help us, and they had tons of options. Both of us really liked the LG brand fridges that we saw. They just felt sturdier and better quality than many of the other ones. Once we found the fridge and microwave that we wanted in black stainless steel, we had to decide if we should go the whole way and get a new range along with it.

Gah! That was stressful. Our range works fine, but it is older and doesn't cook very evenly any more. If that was the only consideration, I probably would have just waited, but in order to get the appliances to match, you really have to get the same brand. Black stainless steel is kind of difficult to match, so we were concerned that if we waited, we might run into trouble. There was also a deal going that if you bought a set of 3 appliances, you would get a rebate. It was substantial enough that we decided to do it. We are hoping to sell our old range as well to help a little with the added cost.

It was painful for me to make the purchase, but Jonathon was very pragmatic about the whole thing and reminded me that we would probably have these appliances for at least the next 10 years, so it would be worth it. And we did have the money for them, even if I hated to spend it.

So we bought them, and I really do love them! They look fabulous in our kitchen, and I am hoping that they will last for a long, long time!



No comments: