Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

June 24, 2016

Trained

Hyrum is potty-trained, and it was a huge success! I'd like to think that I am getting better at this Mom business, but in this case it just might be that Hyrum is an easier kid. We'll call it a little of both to make me feel good :) With every milestone that comes along, I feel a bit of sadness because Hyrum is my last baby, but not for this one! I really dislike potty-training, so I am happy to be done with it. And no more diapers to buy... Yay!

Both of the other boys didn't get potty-trained until a couple months after they turned 3. They were both completely clueless when we first tried, so we had to wait and try a bit later. Christian was particularly tricky because he was scared of the toilet flushing. Haha! Since they were both older when we started, once they figured it out, they really didn't have too many problems. On the grand scale of things, I haven't had it too bad, but that doesn't mean it is a pleasant thing.

Hyrum turns 3 next month, so I figured we should start thinking about it. Since it is summer vacation, and we have a little more control over our schedule, I figured it was a good time to try. I talked to him about it for a few weeks before, showed him his little Lightning McQueen potty, and got out the new undies. The first day that we tried, he had no idea what was going on. He had 8-10 accidents (luckily they were almost entirely on the tile floor that was easy to clean), and I was wondering if we were going to have to wait with him too. I stayed positive and encouraging though, and the second day he woke up ready to try again. That day he really figured things out. He was highly motivated by the jellybean that he got every time he went, and he definitely didn't want to get his new undies dirty. He only had two accidents all day, although he was slightly anxious about the whole thing. And then.... he was completely trained. 2 weeks later, and we are still accident free. 2 days to train, talk about easy! He is growing up way too fast. Love this little boy!


No comments: