Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

December 24, 2015

2 Years of Glitter

I had my 2 year cancer check-up in December just a few days before Christmas. I am so happy to report that everything looks good, and my doctor still sees no signs of the return of the cancer. Dr. Dodson said that 2 years is a big deal because the rates of recurrence go way down after the two year mark. He is very optimistic that we have beat this. Ovarian cancer was never something I expected and definitely didn't ask for, but I really think that it has shaped who I have become for the better. There is no guarantee that the cancer will not come back, but I am feeling hopeful. I am so grateful that I have had these last two years of good health, filled with so much happiness. I'm now looking toward that 5 year mark where I can be officially declared cancer-free. Sometimes I don't feel worthy to be called a survivor because my cancer was caught so early that I didn't have to have radiation or chemo and endure the horrendous side affects of that. I look at the warriors that have fought for their lives through those things, and don't feel like I belong. But then I remember those months and months laying on the couch recovering from 2 major abdominal surgeries. I remember Jonathon, my mom, Mom H., Aunt Sharon, and so many friends taking care of me and my family because I couldn't. I ache for the babies that I can no longer have and all that I gave up to fight the cancer. Everyone's journey is different, and it makes me feel a little more worthy to be numbered among them. It was all worth it, and I am so grateful. 

Sometimes, we must endure trials simply because we are humans in a fallen state with imperfect bodies. What we make of the trials is truly up to us. My cousin was recently diagnosed with osteosarcoma (bone cancer) in his arm. He has been through so much already (chemo and surgery) and has so much left to endure. But his family is fighting hard and making the most of a potentially devastating situation. They are looking for the glitter (tender mercies!) in everything. I believe this trial will make them stronger because they are seeing God's hand in their lives. When I heard that they were spreading their hope and optimism through their "Collect Glitter" campaign and t-shirts, I immediately knew I wanted to participate. Although it was supposed to show support for Brady, it has also helped me so much. It has reminded me of the never-ending love of our Heavenly Father and helped me look for the good that is still so prevalent, even in this fallen world. I am so happy to be collecting glitter for Brady and his family and, at the same time, remembering all of the blessings and sparkle in my life. 2 years is definitely a huge milestone, but Heavenly Father has truly blessed me with a lifetime of glitter. 

1 comment:

Chelle said...

What a blessing that everything looks good!!!! I can only imagine how having cancer changed your entire life perspective. You def belong in the warrior's club. I am so sorry to hear about your cousin though...it's hard not to wonder, "Why did he have to go thru all this, and not me?" It's always been so comforting to me to know that the Lord has a plan for each of us, and knows what we need to experience to become the person He knows we can become, if we trust in Him. You are beautiful!