Jonathon's grandpa passed away on November 14, 2015 while at home. We knew this day was coming soon, as he was 92 years old and declining in health, but you never feel quite prepared for goodbye. When we got the news of his passing, we both had to take a quiet "moment" where we mourned the loss. Jonathon was the oldest grandchild, so he felt a very deep sadness at the news. I also felt my own heart break. I have been part of the family for quite a while now and have grown to love Grandpa Reed like my own grandfather. In fact, I knew Grandpa H. much better than one of my own Grandpas who died when I was only 5.
I have many fond memories of Grandpa Reed, and both Jonathon and I feel absolutely blessed to have spent these last five years in close proximity to them. We have visited them often, and our children have gotten to know and love both of their great-grandparents. My relationship with Grandpa started when Jonathon and I got married. In 2004, Grandpa took a few days off from his 3rd church mission, this time in Nauvoo, to seal Jonathon and me in the Boise temple. What a wonderful day, and what a wise, wonderful man! Countless family dinners, holidays, and gatherings have happened over the last 11 years, but some of my favorite moments were listening to him talk about his amazing life adventures. He often spoke of World War II, the Great Depression, and raising his family, but my favorite thing he ever said was, "Once I gained a testimony of the Gospel, I never questioned again because I already knew." That is the kind of man Grandpa Reed was.
On the day of the funeral, the whole family gathered together to celebrate a life well-lived. There was much sadness and tears, but there was also an overwhelming assurance of peace. If anyone could approach their Maker with confidence, it was Grandpa. That knowledge transformed the day from one of extreme loss to one of infinite hope. The speakers mentioned Grandpa's war heroics, but more importantly, they spoke of his firm testimony, his efforts to always do what was right in the face of endless obstacles, and his deep love for the Plan of Salvation. I felt privileged to join Jonathon and all the other grandchildren and spouses in singing "Love is Spoken Here" during the funeral. Hyrum got restless about 20 minutes into the funeral, so we sat together in the Relief Society room with the speaker on so I could hear the service. It was actually kind of nice because I could experience all of my emotions without trying to "hold it together" like I would if there were hundreds of other people around. Anyone who knows me knows that I am a bit of a crier and this day was no different!
I think one of the most difficult parts of the day was seeing the sorrow in Grandma's eyes. She always likes to be independent and do things her way, but that independence was always made possible by the stability and love of Grandpa, who was always by her side. There were many times during the day when her eyes were filled with loneliness and grief. Their love and marriage of 67 years, was and is definitely something to emulate and strive for.
One of Jonathon's cousins married an amazing photographer (also named Sarah!), and her pictures are priceless. She so beautifully captured the love, tenderness, and emotions of the day. I am so grateful that we have these images. (Sarah's photography website) Here are some of her photos from the viewing:
Originally, we were debating if we all wanted to make the drive up to Ogden for the actual burial or if we should just send Jonathon. We were worried about the kids being tired and cranky with the 3 hour round trip, but finally decided that this was an occasion that we needed to all be at. I am forever grateful that we made that decision. It was one of the most special services I have ever been to. Since Grandpa was a veteran, he was given a hero's farewell with an American flag, bugler, and color guard. I have never been part of something like that, so it was really amazing. Jonathon (along with all his male cousins) also got to be a pallbearer, so he was able to honor the man he looked up to for his whole life.
The bugler played Taps as we all looked on. They then folded the flag and presented it to Grandma and thanked her for the service of her loved one. It was a poignant moment and one I will never forget. Once again, the credit for the incredible pictures goes to Sarah.
Grandpa will be sorely missed, but never forgotten. He lives on in his posterity and in our own Andrew Reed. Families are Forever, and I know we will see him again. How grateful I am for that knowledge.
*Link to obituary found here














No comments:
Post a Comment