I can't tell you how much I have loved being back at BYU. Jonathon is settling into his job nicely, and I love going to campus to visit him and feel the Spirit that is always there. There are so many fun perks to being the spouse of a faculty member (free tuition!, discounts to events/businesses, and getting to attend special campus activities). The week before school started was University Conference. One of the first events was a Luncheon for all new faculty. Jonathon and I both got to go. It was held on the 6th floor of the WILK in the Skyroom Restaurant. After we checked in and got our name tags, we got to meet President and Sister Worthen (President of BYU). They were so kind. Even though there were many, many new faculty coming through the line, President Worthen spent time with each one of them, asking questions and finding out about them. When it was our turn, we shook their hands and were able to tell them what department Jonathon worked in and about our path back to BYU. He also asked about our family and wished us the best in Jonathon's new career. It was a memorable experience. We met a few of the other Vice Presidents and then found seats next to Dr. Alan Harker. He is now the VP over Research and Graduate Studies. Jonathon took a class from him years ago, and it was fun to get to know him and his wife better. They were extremely kind and seemed genuinely interested in us. The food was also delicious. The desserts were outrageous! I seriously wanted to try all 25 of them. I settled for some amazing carrot cake and half of a chocolate chip cookie bar that was divine. During the whole experience, I wanted to take pictures with all the interesting people we got to meet, but I knew that wasn't very mature :) I settled for a picture with Jonathon at the front desk. It was such a fun lunch date, and I am so proud to be the wife of a professor.
Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.
September 5, 2015
New Faculty Luncheon
I can't tell you how much I have loved being back at BYU. Jonathon is settling into his job nicely, and I love going to campus to visit him and feel the Spirit that is always there. There are so many fun perks to being the spouse of a faculty member (free tuition!, discounts to events/businesses, and getting to attend special campus activities). The week before school started was University Conference. One of the first events was a Luncheon for all new faculty. Jonathon and I both got to go. It was held on the 6th floor of the WILK in the Skyroom Restaurant. After we checked in and got our name tags, we got to meet President and Sister Worthen (President of BYU). They were so kind. Even though there were many, many new faculty coming through the line, President Worthen spent time with each one of them, asking questions and finding out about them. When it was our turn, we shook their hands and were able to tell them what department Jonathon worked in and about our path back to BYU. He also asked about our family and wished us the best in Jonathon's new career. It was a memorable experience. We met a few of the other Vice Presidents and then found seats next to Dr. Alan Harker. He is now the VP over Research and Graduate Studies. Jonathon took a class from him years ago, and it was fun to get to know him and his wife better. They were extremely kind and seemed genuinely interested in us. The food was also delicious. The desserts were outrageous! I seriously wanted to try all 25 of them. I settled for some amazing carrot cake and half of a chocolate chip cookie bar that was divine. During the whole experience, I wanted to take pictures with all the interesting people we got to meet, but I knew that wasn't very mature :) I settled for a picture with Jonathon at the front desk. It was such a fun lunch date, and I am so proud to be the wife of a professor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ah, the carrot cake. You are a woman of good taste. :) Jared took me to the Skyroom once and it was SOOO good! What a wonderful experience for you guys, and how great that Pres. Worthen was so warm and kind. I am with you...there is something so special about being on that campus. You really can feel the Spirit!
Post a Comment