Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

August 27, 2015

Back to School {2015-2016}



When we found out that we were moving, we started looking at schools in the Provo area. The schools in the surrounding areas where decent, but there seemed to be a lot more options (several language immersion programs, charter schools, etc.) in the Provo school district. When we found our home, we were grateful to have so many choices, but that made it more stressful to me because we were responsible for choosing what would be best for our kids. 

Our boundary school was rated extremely well on goodschools.com, so we felt like if everything else fell through, we would still have a great option. There was also a great charter school not far away. Before the move, Christian was accepted into the gifted program again up in Davis County, so my first priority was to check and see if there was a similar program in the Provo district. I found out that they did have a program very similar to the one Christian had been in from 1st-3rd grade. It was full-time magnet program. Unfortunately, the deadline to apply was in February. I took my chances and emailed the head of the CAS program (Center for Advanced Studies). I told her that Christian had already been tested and accepted in Davis county, and was there any possible way that he could be considered. She soon emailed back and said that they used the same tests and she would get the results from his previous school. I had to fill out a parent questionnaire online, and only a few days later, we got the email saying that he had been accepted. We were happy to have the acceptance letter, but still not sure if that would be best.

Andrew was also tested for the gifted program in Davis county and did really well. Unfortunately, the Provo school district does not do any gifted classes until 4th grade, so we had to work out something different for him. I found out that the Portuguese immersion program was hosted by a school very close to our new house. Jonathon and his dad both speak Portuguese, so I was excited by the possibility of Andrew learning. I figured that an immersion program would help him to not be bored in his regular class. The deadline for that program had long passed as well, so I emailed the director and asked if there was any way that we might be able to get in. Several weeks passed, but one day in May, I got an email saying that they had a last minute opening in the program, and if we could get all the necessary paperwork turned in ASAP, Andrew could have the spot. I quickly filled out all of the papers and got them to the district. They accepted him into the program and suddenly, we had more options than we knew what to do with. 

We went back and forth about which schools to attend. I really wanted the boys to be able to go to the same school together, but I also recognized the amazing opportunities that the other programs held. We finally decided to give Portuguese and CAS a shot. We knew that it would be easier to pull them out of the programs if they weren't working out than to try to get them back in later. I knew it was going to be a lot more work for me because the schools were so far apart (transportation, Parent-teacher conferences, etc.), but it felt like we had really been blessed to have everything work out so perfectly, so we needed to at least pursue this path. So with our decision made, we did everything necessary to get them registered and ready to go to school.


Christian was a bit nervous on the first day. He was going to a new school and knew no one at the school. He also was going to have to ride the bus for the first time. The buses only stop at other elementary schools in the area, so I filled out the necessary paperwork to allow him to catch the bus at Andrew's school. That way I wouldn't have to make quite as many trips every day. I wanted to take him to school on the first day and make sure he knew where everything was, but I also wanted him to know how the bus situation would work. I took him to the bus stop at the assigned time and introduced him to his bus driver. He also got to meet the other CAS kids that would ride his bus. He was extremely shy and didn't really want to talk to anyone. That was fine. I understood, so I didn't push him, but at least he knew where he needed to be and how it worked. 

We drove across town to Christian's school, and I walked him to his classroom. He seemed to be pretty calm by that point, so I gave him a hug and told him to have a great day. He rode the bus back to Andrew's school at the end of the day. When I picked him up, he said he had the "best day ever!" He was so excited about his nice teacher, his fun class, the huge library, and especially about all of the science projects that they were going to do throughout the year. I was so relieved and thrilled by his response. 4th grade is looking to be pretty awesome!


Andrew was surprisingly calm on the first day. It definitely helped that he participated in a Portuguese camp during the summer where he got to meet some of the teachers and students in the program. The camp was held in his classroom, so he knew exactly where he was going, which was also helpful. I made sure he knew where to meet me after school, took a picture of him at his desk, and then left. He seemed to be just fine. When I picked him up after school, he wasn't excited or sad. He just seemed "fine." He said it was pretty boring because they just talked about rules all day (which is to be expected). He liked his teachers (he has a Portuguese teacher in the morning for math and an English teacher in the afternoon for reading/writing). He found out that two kids on his soccer team were also in the Portuguese program, so that was cool for him. He said he didn't really understand any of the Portuguese, but it didn't seem to bother him too much. I am sure it will be difficult and frustrating at times, but hopefully, he can get the hang of it pretty quickly.


So, the first day of school went well for the boys. Hyrum was pretty sad when we dropped them off. He cried for a few minutes, but then calmed down. It is definitely going to take some adjusting for him to spend all day with only mom. He will get used to the routine soon though. I am just so grateful that I have Hyrum at home for a few more years. He is my good buddy, and I need him around for a while longer. By the end of the day, I was pretty exhausted. School got out early for the first couple of days, so it felt like I was driving to and from the school constantly. Christian's school gets out 20 minutes after Andrew's and then he has a 30 minute bus ride, so I have to make two trips to pick them up. It is really a hassle, but there isn't another option at this point, so we will have to make it work. I guess that is where my adjusting will come in. The boys seem happy, and I am pleased with the decisions that we made for this school year. So far, so good :)

Silly Boys!

1 comment:

Chelle said...

I'm glad their first day went so well! That is always such a relief for the mom. :) ms sure you were exhausted after all that! You are such a good mom, and I'm glad you got them into the schools that will be best for them.