For five years, we worked hard to make that house our home. We spent countless hours painting, doing needed repairs, weeding the garden, dragging sprinklers around the gigantic lawn, decorating, beautifying. All along we knew that Layton was only a short stopping place in our life journey, but in the end, all those hours endeared us to what we had created. After 11 years of marriage, it was the first place that really felt like home. I realize a house is only wood and brick, but it housed so many precious memories.
It was in that home that our first and then second child started school. It was in that home that we brought home our sweet new baby Hyrum. It was in that home that we battled cancer together as a family. It was in that home that we grew up and grew together.
After the moving van was packed and the people had all left, I was the only one that remained. I locked the front door for the last time, got in the car, and said a prayer of gratitude for five glorious years. As I drove away, I held the emotions in the best I could, but there is something special between a girl and her first home.
One last picture
Since I was emotional about leaving a house, you better believe that I was devastated to leave behind all of the wonderful people who influenced our family and made our lives so happy. We had so many friends and were blessed by so many people in our ward and neighborhood. In some cases, saying "Goodbye" was just too difficult, and I had to leave with a "See you later" instead. These special people included, but were not limited to: the amazing sisters that I worked with in the Primary Presidency (Andrea and Traci), the children of the Primary, the many Relief Society sisters who served my family during our darkest hours, our life-long friends, the Olsons, and my dear friend, Andie, who loved me and served me better than I ever deserved. I am more grateful for these relationships than I know how to express, and I am better because of them.The day before we left, one of the awesome women that we had carpooled to school with for the last two years dropped off a gift for us. I was overwhelmed with her kindness and talent. She is an artist, and she gave us two hand drawn Harry Potter pictures. She knows our family so well! She not only gave us a print of her watercolor entitled "The Golden Trio" (Ron, Harry, and Hermione), but she also drew a custom portrait of our family at Platform 9 3/4. I love her whimsical, unique style and will treasure it always. (doodleanddelight.com, custom watercolors by Cami Goldman)
There will always be a special place in our hearts for Layton, but as life continues to move forward, so must we. And I know there will be many more wonderful people and experiences in our future.
No comments:
Post a Comment