Jonathon returned home from Cameron's wedding on Sunday, the 21st, and we headed out for Idaho at 6:30 am the next morning. We love spending Christmas in Idaho, and this year was particularly special because my whole family was together (Ben will be leaving on a mission to Omaha, NE in January). It is getting more and more rare, so we try to enjoy every minute. Mom had some activities planned, but also left plenty of time for chatting and games.
After we arrived on Monday, we headed to Uncle Mike's pool to go swimming. It has become a fun tradition that the kids all love. When we go, we also get homemade french fries, so the grown-ups are pretty happy too. We put the BYU football bowl game up on the big screen and enjoyed the afternoon (until the very end, when BYU choked!)
All the kids getting ready for lunch
Hyrum enjoying the pool
For Family Home Evening that night, we went Christmas Caroling. We only went to three houses (the drive between houses was quite long), but it was three families that expect us to come every year. In fact, we have gone caroling at the Hoagland's every year that I can remember. They are two old, sweet, single sisters that have shown us so much love through the years. They faithfully write to every missionary that goes out and treat us like family. Every time we go caroling, they have homemade caramels waiting for us. It would be a crime to not go visit them at Christmas time. This year was no exception. We sang our songs, and then filled our bellies with the delicious sweets. I'm glad my parents have always made an effort to spread joy and love with those who need it. Not surprisingly, we always feel it in return.
Fishing:
Joe loves to fish, and Jonathon is always up for an adventure, so they got a group of people together and headed out to CJ Strike Reservoir early in the morning. As the sun was rising and everyone was getting their poles ready, Jonathon took a picture. I think it is stunning... perhaps the best of the trip!
The fishing was slow at first, but by the end almost everyone had caught a fish. Jonathon got a nice rainbow trout that they brought home and cooked up for us.
Gingerbread Houses:
We didn't have time to do our traditional gingerbread houses at home, so it was great that Grandma planned a gingerbread party for all of the grandkids. They had fun adding lots of candy and frosting.
Christmas Eve:
For Christmas Eve, we had an ugly sweater party that was EPIC. Hannah suggested the party a few weeks prior, and I knew that there would be some great ones because my sister-in-laws are so fun. Jonathon found some ideas online, and we created a battery-operated sweater for him. We put a string of Christmas lights intertwined with some green tinsel to form a tree. When Jonathon flipped the switch in his pocket, the lights turned on. It turned out better than we hoped for. I went shopping at D.I. and found the ugliest sweater on the planet. It wasn't Christmasy at all, but I really can't imagine who would ever wear it. It was so weird that I wasn't even sure if I was wearing it correctly. I added some Christmas decorations to it, including a reindeer with a big nose that flashed red. It was pretty hideous and awesome. Christian and Andrew got to make their own sweaters, which turned out so cute. They were excited to get to participate in a big kid event.
I was expecting great sweaters, but everyone went above and beyond. Here are the pictures:
Sarah and Jonathon
Christian and Andrew (Andrew really wanted his snowman to have "angry bird" eyebrows!)
Ben and Hannah
Kym and Joe (Yes, that is a stuffed bear sewn to his sweater. Awesome!)
Matt and Katie (The best part was that in each little ornament was a picture of a cat. HaHa!)
Dan and Claire
Mom and Dad (affectionately known as "Bob" and "Dale")
Our family
The missionaries came to dinner on Christmas Eve, and they were the judges. The four finalists were Joe, Claire, Jonathon, and me. Joe ended up winning. It was pretty funny.
Also for Christmas Eve, we had our traditional talent show. Each of the grandkids did a talent, including the littles. Carter (16 months) dunked a basketball in his little hoop, Bridger (19 months) played "duck, duck, goose", Hyrum (17 months) was supposed to do his chicken sound, but he got nervous with everyone watching him :). Mckay (3) told some cute jokes, Jadyn (5) recited "Twas the night before Christmas," Andrew (5) played Jingle Bells on the piano, and Christian (8) played "Samuel Tells of Baby Jesus" on the piano.
After the Talent Show, we discussed some "Remember Whens.....", played the eye game (each person had to try to identify pictures of everyone else's eyes... I was terrible btw), sang some songs, and had our traditional frappe for dessert. Then a special visitor came to see the kids. Ben dressed up in a Santa suit and knocked on the door. The kids were excited and a bit confused. Christian figured it out right away, but the rest of them seemed curious. Santa gave them each a present (new pajamas) and a super hero cape made by Grandma. Hyrum did NOT like Santa at all. He screamed if he got to close. Andrew was suspicious, but played along. After most of the kids went to bed, McKay was having a hard time sleeping. He came up and sat on Joe's lap for awhile. About 20 minutes later, he noticed that Ben was sitting next to him still wearing the Santa suit but not the beard and hat. He looked over and exclaimed, "What the Heck!" We all busted up laughing, and weren't sure what to do. He just kept looking at Ben and trying to wrap his brain around what he had seen. It was so hilarious.
Christmas morning was wonderful. The kids got up way too early, so Jonathon took them in the bedroom and watched Studio C for a while until it was okay to wake up the grown ups at 7 am. They were so excited to come see all of the presents under the tree. When there are 20 people in the house, the tree looks pretty magical surrounded by all the gifts. Christian and Andrew each got one big gift from Santa Claus. We really don't talk about Santa much, but we let the boys have fun with the idea and special gift. All of the rest of the presents are from Mom and Dad. I want Christmas and Santa to be fun, but not to distract from what is real, and that is Jesus Christ and His birth and life. Their Santa presents were pretty awesome this year. Christian has been asking for a bow and arrow for months. We found an amazing deal on a really great quality bow and arrow. It was almost half price because of a huge sale just before black Friday. It is one that he can grow into over the next several years. Andrew also got a bow and arrow set. It was more of a toy one that was meant for younger kids. They were both ecstatic. Christian wanted to go out shooting immediately, but he decided to wait and open the rest of his presents.
Hyrum was a little overwhelmed by Christmas. He was tired from getting up so early (like 4:30 am early), and preferred to just sit on Grandpa C's lap. These two are the best buddies. Hyrum followed him around just waiting to be picked up. If Grandpa was busy, Hyrum would come get Jonathon or me and drag us to Grandpa and point to him. It was pretty funny... I'm glad he loves him so much.
I was enjoying watching the kids so much that I wasn't really even thinking about my presents. Jonathon bought a gift for me several weeks ago and stashed it at his parents' house. He doesn't usually pull off surprises very well (not because I go looking for them, but because I will accidentally see it on a receipt, see it on our bank statement or guess it just by the shape). I love to be surprised by gifts though, so I was thrilled that I didn't have any idea what he had gotten me. Anyway, Jonathon handed me an envelope. Inside was a picture of my present. Not only was I completely surprised, I was beyond excited! Jonathon bought me a Bosch Mixer! My Mom has used a Bosch forever to make her famous bread, and I have wanted one so bad, but they are so expensive. Apparently, he found it on a good sale and splurged on me. What a sweet husband! I am so excited to try it out. Soon I will be cranking out the homemade bread. Yay!
After the Talent Show, we discussed some "Remember Whens.....", played the eye game (each person had to try to identify pictures of everyone else's eyes... I was terrible btw), sang some songs, and had our traditional frappe for dessert. Then a special visitor came to see the kids. Ben dressed up in a Santa suit and knocked on the door. The kids were excited and a bit confused. Christian figured it out right away, but the rest of them seemed curious. Santa gave them each a present (new pajamas) and a super hero cape made by Grandma. Hyrum did NOT like Santa at all. He screamed if he got to close. Andrew was suspicious, but played along. After most of the kids went to bed, McKay was having a hard time sleeping. He came up and sat on Joe's lap for awhile. About 20 minutes later, he noticed that Ben was sitting next to him still wearing the Santa suit but not the beard and hat. He looked over and exclaimed, "What the Heck!" We all busted up laughing, and weren't sure what to do. He just kept looking at Ben and trying to wrap his brain around what he had seen. It was so hilarious.
Santa and the Grandkids
Scared Hyrum
McKay and Bridger getting their superhero capes
And to make Christmas extra special, it started to snow just before the kids went to bed on Christmas Eve. We had checked the forecast earlier in the week, and not a drop of moisture was predicted. The snow was beautiful and was the perfect end to our Christmas Eve party. We loved our white Christmas!
Christmas:
Hyrum was a little overwhelmed by Christmas. He was tired from getting up so early (like 4:30 am early), and preferred to just sit on Grandpa C's lap. These two are the best buddies. Hyrum followed him around just waiting to be picked up. If Grandpa was busy, Hyrum would come get Jonathon or me and drag us to Grandpa and point to him. It was pretty funny... I'm glad he loves him so much.
I was enjoying watching the kids so much that I wasn't really even thinking about my presents. Jonathon bought a gift for me several weeks ago and stashed it at his parents' house. He doesn't usually pull off surprises very well (not because I go looking for them, but because I will accidentally see it on a receipt, see it on our bank statement or guess it just by the shape). I love to be surprised by gifts though, so I was thrilled that I didn't have any idea what he had gotten me. Anyway, Jonathon handed me an envelope. Inside was a picture of my present. Not only was I completely surprised, I was beyond excited! Jonathon bought me a Bosch Mixer! My Mom has used a Bosch forever to make her famous bread, and I have wanted one so bad, but they are so expensive. Apparently, he found it on a good sale and splurged on me. What a sweet husband! I am so excited to try it out. Soon I will be cranking out the homemade bread. Yay!
Temple Trip
On the Saturday after Christmas, my whole family got the chance to go to the Boise temple together. It was the first time that Mom, Dad, and all of my siblings have ever been in the temple all together. It was so special. Seeing everyone together in the Celestial Room really made me focus on the importance of this life. The decisions that we make here will determine if we will get to spend eternity together. It is such a comfort and blessing to know that we are all on the right path. None of us are perfect, but we are working hard to be worthy to attend the temple now and to live with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ after this life. It was a day I will not forget. It also made me long for the day when we can have all of our children in the temple with us. I pray that we can teach them and raise them to be righteous young men who are worthy to be in the House of the Lord. What a wonderful day that will be!
Chinese food after the temple
Playing Games (lots of games!)
Settlers, Seven Wonders, Pandemic, Rook, Etc.
Parachute with the kids
Touch football
Other Fun Activities:
Building Snowmen
Playing Games (lots of games!)
Settlers, Seven Wonders, Pandemic, Rook, Etc.
Parachute with the kids
Touch football
The daily trip out to feed the cows.
All the littles loved to be outside, even though it was freezing.
Special Meals
| Borscht |
My Mom put one of the kids in charge of each dinner to take some of the stress off her and because it is fun. We each try to make something unique that we enjoy. We had so many delicious dinners!
Joe and Kym- Borscht and homemade french bread
Matt and Katie- Wild game night (deer, fish, pheasant, etc.)
Daniel and Claire- Indian food (curry chicken and homemade naan)
Sarah and Jonathon- Creamy tomato tortellini soup and homemade artisan bread
Ben and Hannah- Crepes
It was such a lovely Christmas break. Everyone had fun and enjoyed being together. I don't know how much longer we will ALL be able to get together for the holidays, so it was especially wonderful. Mom and Dad have created such a great atmosphere in their home that draws us all back as often as possible. I am so grateful to them and to all of my siblings whom I love so much. I'm also so grateful for my Savior, whose birth and life we celebrate. Memories don't get any sweeter than these.












No comments:
Post a Comment