They ended up having a fantastic time! The play was very cute and well done for a high school production. The narrators were fabulous, and the boy who played Pharaoh was a complete star! The actor who played Joseph was also very good, and the boys were completely entertained. The only thing I wish I would have thought about was getting a closer seat so that the boys could see better. They ended up sitting on their knees, so it worked out. I have seen Joseph several times (3-4?), so I was singing all of the songs on the way home. They thought that was pretty annoying, but I told them they would just have to deal with it :) I hope that they will have great memories of our night, and it will be the foundation for their love of plays as well. They already asked to go to one next year, so I think we are off to a good start.
Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.
November 14, 2014
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
When I was younger, my parents used to take me to a musical play every year. My piano teacher, Holly Tiegs, was very involved in the NNC (Northwest Nazarene College) drama productions, and she got us hooked. They were very affordable, and were very professionally done. I was probably about 8 years old when I went to my first play, and it became a yearly tradition every spring. We saw Oklahoma, Fiddler on the Roof, H.M.S. Pinafore, Hello Dolly, The Music Man, and several more. After the play, my parents always took us out to frozen yogurt. It was such a fun night. My love for plays, and musicals specifically, continued to increase from there. I went to several during High School (Joseph, Into the Woods, Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon, etc.). Then, when we lived in New York City, we had the opportunity to see several musicals on Broadway (Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, The Lion King, HairSpray, and Wicked).
As you can tell, I thoroughly enjoy musicals and want to pass that love on to my kids. I decided that this year they were old enough to go to their first musical. Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat was being performed by a local high school. It was the perfect intro for them. The tickets were very inexpensive, the play was geared for families, and they already knew the basic story from the scriptures. (As a bonus, Jonathon performed in the same play when he was in high school. He is the first to admit that he is not a singer, but he loved to be involved. He played the part of Jacob.) I talked about the play for a few days and got them excited to attend. As we were driving over, I also talked to them about proper etiquette and what to expect.
They ended up having a fantastic time! The play was very cute and well done for a high school production. The narrators were fabulous, and the boy who played Pharaoh was a complete star! The actor who played Joseph was also very good, and the boys were completely entertained. The only thing I wish I would have thought about was getting a closer seat so that the boys could see better. They ended up sitting on their knees, so it worked out. I have seen Joseph several times (3-4?), so I was singing all of the songs on the way home. They thought that was pretty annoying, but I told them they would just have to deal with it :) I hope that they will have great memories of our night, and it will be the foundation for their love of plays as well. They already asked to go to one next year, so I think we are off to a good start.
They ended up having a fantastic time! The play was very cute and well done for a high school production. The narrators were fabulous, and the boy who played Pharaoh was a complete star! The actor who played Joseph was also very good, and the boys were completely entertained. The only thing I wish I would have thought about was getting a closer seat so that the boys could see better. They ended up sitting on their knees, so it worked out. I have seen Joseph several times (3-4?), so I was singing all of the songs on the way home. They thought that was pretty annoying, but I told them they would just have to deal with it :) I hope that they will have great memories of our night, and it will be the foundation for their love of plays as well. They already asked to go to one next year, so I think we are off to a good start.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That is seriously one of the funnest plays ever! I wish we could have taken our kids, but obviously the timing was not so good for us. I'm so glad they loved it! Have you shown them the video of Jonathon and Jared's performance? ;)
I love musicals too! A good one to be introduced to musicals. Joseph is one of my absolute favorites. Except yesterday when Potiphar's song got stuck in my head, it was torture, lol!
Post a Comment