Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

November 2, 2014

"Everything is Awesome!" -- Halloween 2014



Halloween kind of snuck up on me this year. I have been so busy with the Primary Program and planning our Harry Potter trip, that I didn't have much time to think about costumes. Then we found out that our Ward Halloween Trunk or Treat was a week before Halloween. When we found out about it, we only had 5 days left. I immediately went into panic mode. The kids said that they wanted to be characters from the Lego Movie, but I was having a really hard time trying to figure out how to make the heads look like legos. I was totally stumped. Then I found some mask patterns online, and I finally figured it out. Masks aren't allowed at church functions, so I printed the faces on photo paper and then glued them to cardboard. Then I put them on popsicle sticks so that the boys could hold them up when they wanted to, but it wouldn't technically be a mask.

I bought Andrew's police shirt and found Hyrum's batman pajamas (which he needed anyway) at the store. Jonathon just wore his suit for President Business, and I just put colored duct tape on my jacket for Wyld Style. Everything was going along swimmingly until I got to Christian's costume. I tried to find a cheap safety vest everywhere, but they were really expensive at various stores. They were cheaper online, but I just didn't have the time. Finally, it was the day of the party, and I still had nothing done on Christian's costume. I was willing to just go buy a costume at that point to save my sanity, but nowhere had any Emmet costumes. I decided the only thing left to do was just make it myself, but I had no pattern and no real direction. That is when my sister-in-law, Kym, stepped in. She was just visiting for the day and immediately knew what to do. She is a great seamstress and has made many patterns. She quickly got to work making the pattern from a pair of Christian's pajamas, and in no time, had it stitched up. I pretty much watched in awe! After she left, I added the reflective tape and belt, and voila... it was all done. Phew!

Everything came together in the end, but I was worried for a few days. We had a fabulous time at the party, and the boys were thrilled with their costumes. Afterward, we let them choose 10 pieces of candy to keep, and they willingly gave the rest up to hand out to our trick or treaters. (This is the fourth year in a row that we have done that, and it just gets easier and easier. They were really good sports about it and still had plenty of candy.) 

Andrew/Bad Cop/Good Cop

Christian/Emmet

Hyrum/Batman

Jonathon/President Business

Sarah/Wyld Style


HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

1 comment:

Chelle said...

You always manage to pull off the best costumes!! You all look fantastic. What a blessing that your sis-in-law was able to help w/ the last costume. And I LOVE the idea of 10 pieces of candy. I think our kids ate close to 30 just that night...yuck.