Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

January 25, 2014

The Newest 5 Year Old

Andrew turned 5, and we were ready to PARTY! We asked him what he wanted to do for his birthday and he said, "go to Grandmas, go to Chuck E. Cheese, have pizza, go to Burger King, and go bowling." While all those sound fun, we had to limit him just a little... We let him choose one activity and one meal. More than anything else, he wanted to spend his birthday with Grandma H. They are truly kindred spirits. We decided to head down to Grandma and Grandpas, have pizza for lunch, and then go bowling. He was thrilled with the compromise. 

When we arrived, the boys spent a few minutes helping Grandpa with the floor of their new club house under the stairs (see Christmas post for the full story). They had a pretty short attention span, but I am sure that in the future, they will talk about how they helped Grandpa build it. 



Then we had pizza and "cake." Andrew LOVES donuts, so when he requested a donut cake, I was not surprised at all. It was so easy (a huge bonus) and yummy! I'd be okay with donut cakes every year :)


After opening presents, we headed to BYU to go bowling. Grandpa and Grandma had planned to go up to Park City in the afternoon, so we didn't expect that they would be able to go with us. When they decided to come bowling, I told Mom H. not to worry and feel free to go forward with their previous plans. She responded that she was going to spend the day with her grandkids and enjoy every moment because "they won't be wanting to hang out with Grandma when they are teenagers." That is why Andrew (and all of us) loves her so much!

I really love going to the BYU game center because it reminds me of going with my family when I was growing up. It really hasn't changed that much, and I love that my kids can experience it too. Everyone had a great time bowling.





On the way home, Andrew kept commenting that it was "the best day ever." It is hard to believe that 5 years have passed since that cold night in New York City when baby Andrew was almost born in a taxi cab. We have had our struggles in understanding the needs of our opinionated little boy, but he always makes up for it with a hug, a snuggle, or a sweet little "I love you." We are so grateful that Andrew is part of our family. Happy Birthday!

3 comments:

Chelle said...

That is so sweet that he and Grandma H have such a strong bond! Jonathon's parents are def super cool. Loved the donut cake too. What a cute kid!

cfish77 said...

I don't blame him for wanting to hang out w/ his Grandma for his birthday. I like hanging out with her, too! In fact I need to go hang out with my super cool auntie some time -- and check out the progress on the fort under the stairs.

Stefani said...

Sounds like he might be kindred spirits with me too. I could go for a donut cake.