Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

January 21, 2014

All about Christian

Christian Terry
7 1/2 years old
2nd Grade
Likes: Reading, Harry Potter, Crafts, Pizza, Legos, Snap Circuits
Dislikes: Rice, Going to bed, Chores

Christian loves to do art projects. He loves to be creative and always wants to make something. Every time I attempt to throw away a cardboard box, he snatches it away and stores it in the garage for his next big project. This can be a bit overwhelming because his projects always mean messes. He isn't quite as good at cleaning up as he is at crafting. 

He also loves to draw. For school, he was supposed to draw a picture of something he likes to do for a project on writing memoirs. He drew the cute picture below and wrote, "In [this picture], you see me playing with my chickens. I have had them 9 months. I helped my dad build the coop. We have four. I collect the eggs. My dad taught me how to take care of them. The people in my family that do it are: me, my dad, and my brother.


Christian is becoming quite a good little piano player. He started lessons in September and has progressed nicely. He, like most kids, doesn't love to practice, but he does it when I ask. It helps that his teacher lets him play songs that he is interested in. Right now he is learning one of the songs from Harry Potter. Although it is way above his level, he is so excited to learn it and has done a great job. For his first recital at the end of December, he played Jingle Bells. He admitted that he was nervous beforehand, but he went up and performed like a pro. He also won an award for "Most Practicing." We were super proud of him!


Over the last few weeks, Christian has lost three of his top teeth. In a major "Mom Fail" moment, he came downstairs and asked why he didn't get any money from the Tooth Fairy. I told him that if he was patient, the Tooth Fairy would definitely come the next night. He looked at me, shaking his head a little, and said, "Since you forgot, can you just give me my dollar right now." I couldn't stifle the laughter. He figured out about the nonexistence of Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy a couple years ago, but he usually plays along. I guess the money was just too enticing at the moment for any more pretend.


For Christmas, Christian got an upgrade to his Snap Circuits kit that he got last year. Snap Circuits is a kit for kids that teaches basic electronics in a safe and fun way. The kit makes tons of different projects and has provided hours of entertainment for Christian, Andrew, Jonathon, and Uncles Nathan and Cameron. With the upgrade, he built an AM radio that he was super proud of. The station that came in best was a Spanish station, so we have spent the last few days listening to Mexican polka. It is such a fun and educational "toy." We highly recommend it!

The boys making an AM radio
Christian is growing up so fast right now. He is now in Senior Primary and is getting ready to be baptized this year. We are so proud of him and love him so much!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think it's great that he loves cardboard boxes. Think of how much cheaper those are than buying him toys! Plus, they let him use his creative juices. I'm all about boxes. And I loved the tooth fairy story, ha ha.