Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

September 19, 2013

Ahoy Mateys

Today is "International Talk Like a Pirate Day." I am fully aware that it is a completely made-up holiday, but that doesn't take away from the fun we had. Krispy Kreme donuts was celebrating the day by offering a free dozen glazed donuts to anyone who dressed up like a pirate. I thought it would be fun to take my boys because they LOVE donuts.

I didn't decide to go to Krispy Kreme until this morning, so Andrew and I spent the morning coming up with costumes. We picked up the hats at Michaels and made everything else. The hooks were plastic cups covered in fabric with a wire hook covered in tin foil. The eye patches were cut from some leftover fabric we had laying around. Right when Christian got home from school, we told him about the donuts, and he was fully on board. We got everyone dressed up and headed to Krispy Kreme.

 Yo Ho! Yo Ho! A Pirate's life for me!

A sad (but oh so cute) baby pirate... I don't think he liked the eye patch much.

When we got there, I was shocked to see that the line of pirates completely wrapped around the building. I was hesitant to stay, but the boys were so excited. I relented, and we got in line. After an hour of standing in line, I was ready to be done. I offered to go to Walmart and buy the boys a donut if we could leave. They were having none of it. They wanted their free dozen. Luckily, they were all being amazingly well behaved. Hyrum was asleep, and Christian and Andrew were patiently waiting in line. To pass time, we were all entertained by the three guys in front of us. They were all in their early 20s and were fully clothed, head to toe, in pirate apparel. They were even singing pirate songs for the crowd.

After another 45 minutes, we finally made it to the front of the line. It was time to go to soccer practice, so I was glad we were ready to get our donuts. Unfortunately, when we looked up at the machine, there were NO donuts. I asked the man working behind the counter, and he said it would be at least 15 more minutes before there were any more donuts. I was crushed. Christian was crushed and started crying. I knew we had to go to soccer practice and didn't know what to do. I called Jonathon and explained the situation. He said that we should stay and reward the boys' patience. He would ride his bike to coach soccer, and I could drop Christian off when we were done.

20 minutes later, the donuts started coming again, and we got our 3 free boxes.  The boys were thrilled and talked about it for the rest of the weekend. After all of the drama, it was worth it because we made good memories (and ate lots of donuts!)

My 3 little buccaneers and their booty!

No comments: