Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

May 22, 2013

I Couldn't Be More Proud...


My 6 year old is obsessed with Harry Potter!


Christian has been begging me to let him read Harry Potter all year. I kept putting him off because I wanted him to be old enough to understand what he was reading, and I didn't want him to be scared by Voldemort and the ending. Finally, with 3 weeks left of first grade, I gave in and let him start "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." 

I started off reading it to him last Thursday night. We did this for a couple of nights, but soon, he grew anxious and wanted to read more and faster, so I let him read by himself. He has been devouring the book ever since then. He stays up too late at night reading and picks up the book right when he gets home from school. After he finishes a chapter, he runs up to tell me all of his new theories... why Snape probably let the troll loose in the school, all the things that could possibly be hidden under the trap door, why Malfoy doesn't like Harry, etc. I shouldn't have worried about his comprehension because he seems to understand everything that is going on. I can say with near certainty that the obsession has begun. He even asked yesterday if we could name the new baby Harry. I can't say that I blame him because I love Harry Potter too.

When he finishes the book, I told him we could watch the first movie. As of this morning, he had 2 1/2 chapters left. It looks like we may be having a Harry Potter Party this weekend! I just hope that Book 1 and 2 will be enough for right now. I think we may have to make him wait until he is a little older for the rest of the books. Wish us luck... once you fall in love with all things Harry Potter, it is awfully hard to wait.

2 comments:

Erica said...

That's so cute!! My kids wanted to watch me play lego harry potter on the wii this week. Haha. They don't know how to use the wii yet. I love it.

Also, I'd think book 3 would be ok to read still.. that's probably the least scary one of them all. Well, I don't know.. maybe the whole ending part w/ dementors etc. would be too much.. I can't wait for my kids to be old enough to read it :)

Angela said...

that is so awesome. I can't figure out how to get Jared to realize that chapter books is where the fun is.

What wonderful boys you have!