He used Golden Delicious, Red Delicious, and Granny Smith apples. The four treatments he tried were: Lemon Juice, Salt Water, Lemon Lime Soda and Fruit Fresh (a vitamin C mixture sold in the grocery store to keep produce fresh)
The results of the experiment were pretty convincing. First, Granny Smith apples lasted much long than the other varieties. Red Delicious were the worst and went brown extremely fast. The best treatment was Lemon Juice by a fairly large margin. The apple slices (all varieties) that were dipped in lemon juice lasted all night on the counter without turning brown. I was pretty amazed. Fruit Fresh also worked fairly well, but lemon juice is less expensive and worked better.
Then we made a display board showing the questions we asked, the hypothesis, the data, and the results. Christian's favorite part of the whole project was helping me glue the papers and pictures to the board. Then I helped him prepare a little presentation to give to the judges. He was a little nervous, but seemed ready to go.
I dropped him off at school and hoped that everything would go okay. Not only did it go okay, but Christian won First Place in his age group. He got a fancy blue ribbon and his name announced over the intercom at school. He was pretty proud of it. I am just glad that he had a good experience, regardless of the outcome. We sure are proud of our little scientist!
5 comments:
Nice job! I am glad to finally be done with science fair projects, but we learned lots of important (and not so important things along the way). The board looks beautiful too, which I've discovered" totally helps on the overall outcome!
Impressive and very useful. Good job, little cousin.
I was just asking myself this "apple question" this very afternoon! I used fruit fresh, but now I know I can just go with el-cheepo lemon juice. Thanks Christian--and awesome job!
Now THAT is a nice, practical science fair project! Way to go Christian!!
I wonder how pineapple juice would do in comparison with lemon juice ...
Post a Comment