Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

December 11, 2012

Decking the Halls

The first Saturday of December, Crista invited the boys to come help her decorate her Christmas tree and little apartment. They had such a great time that we decided to invite her to our house the next Monday to decorate our place. We put up the tree, listened to Christmas music, and ate pumpkin pie and hot chocolate. It was a lovely Family Home Evening.

 The boys helping Crista hang ornaments

Our family with the newly lit tree

We have a yearly tradition of making a gingerbread house. Every year we buy a little kit from the store, and every year I complain about how awful the frosting is and how hard it is to put together. This year was no exception. The frosting is just so stiff that you can't control it at all. Next year I am threatening to actually make real gingerbread and use my own frosting. Regardless, the kids have a blast decorating the house with candy and licking the frosting :) Jonathon bought a Home Depot house this year, so the frosting was orange. 

 Decorating our Home Depot house


 The final product

Andrew accidentally bumped it when he was admiring it, and the whole house completely fell to pieces. We tried to salvage it, but decided to eat it instead of redoing everything. These are our sad faces :(  We still had a fun evening though!


2 comments:

Angela said...

It looked great!!! We made ours last night and if it makes you feel any better Dave had a VERY hard time getting it put together...put him in a frustrated mood for a while. Maybe next year I will buy the kind that come with that house assembled already :)

Chelle said...

I was so sad I didn't get your msg until this afternoon! This smart phone business is way over my head. Simple tasks like getting a voicemail are suddenly much more complicated. :) You guys are SO great! I am sure Crista loved having you help decorate. And if it makes you feel any better, we eat the majority of our candy before it even GETS on the gingerbread house. :)