Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

September 2, 2012

Learning the Articles of Faith

A few weeks ago, my awesome cousin, Natalie, posted a reward chart that she created to help her oldest son learn the Articles of Faith. I loved the idea and decided that I wanted to try it with Christian. The Articles of Faith are the very basic tenets of our religion, so they are one of the best things that he can learn. We sat down and thought of little rewards to go with each one. Here is the list we came up with.

#1   Toy at the Dollar Store
#2   Wendy's Frosty
#3   Family Fishing Trip
#4   Igor's Italian Ice
#5   Krispy Kreme donut
#6   Lunch @ McDonalds
#7   Go to a movie
#8   Family Bike Ride
#9   Playdate with the Olsons
#10 Thanksgiving Point dinosaur museum
#11 New Dinosaur toy
#12 Go to the ZOO
#13 Angry Bird Space stuffed animal

I tried to help him come up with reward ideas based on difficulty level. The first ones are much easier, so the rewards are smaller. I had only intended to do the activity with Christian, but after a few days of practicing, I realized that Andrew knew them too. He had picked up on them as I was working with Christian. So far we have gotten through number 4 in just the few weeks we have been working on it.

It has been such a good experience. As I teach them the scripture, I also get the chance to explain what it means. This leads to some amazing gospel discussions that we probably wouldn't have otherwise. It has become a tradition now that when we get in the car to go to the store, we review the Articles of Faith that we have already learned. I love hearing the little voices from the backseat quoting them. Here is a recording of the cute kids. Andrew is a little hard to understand and throws in some extra words here and there, so you can listen to Christian to hear how it is really supposed to sound :)

2 comments:

cfish77 said...

Very impressive. Good job, little cousins!

Chelle said...

Whoo! We feel privileged to be included on the list of "cool things." :) does this mean we have to wait to get together though? You better get those boys cracking!