Bad Idea: Not taking the expert's advice and thinking we should grow 4 plants instead of just 2. Our counter routinely looks like this:
(Yes, that is 16 zucchini and 11 yellow squash!)
Good Idea: Saving tons of money by owning only one car!
Bad Idea: Owning only one car... especially when said car breaks down and has been in the repair shop for 5 of the last 7 days. Yikes! I'm definitely getting cabin fever, and the food supply is getting low. Luckily, we have all that zucchini and those 4 gallons of milk in the freezer (I can never pass up a good deal!).
Good Idea: Letting the boys go swimming in the little kiddie pool in our backyard
Bad Idea: Forgetting to empty kiddie pool and finding that the boys (and their friends) have jumped in fully clothed at 10 AM... Sorry about that Michelle!
Good Idea: Getting our roof replaced before another brutal winter
Bad Idea: Getting our roof replaced during a "monsoon" weather pattern. It rained nearly every single day that the roof was off. Luckily, it doesn't appear to have sustained any damage, and looks pretty awesome now that it is done.
Good Idea: Getting Christian a pet fish for his birthday
Bad Idea: Letting him choose a zebra fish, even though it isn't supposed to be kept in a bowl. His first pet lasted exactly 3 days. Luckily, he doesn't seem to be too traumatized.
Wow, we are full of so many good... uh, bad ideas :)
7 comments:
Good idea/Bad idea posts have got to be my favorite. Perhaps your zucchini plants can teach mine a thing or two. We have barely any.
You make me laugh!
Here are my top seven suggestions for zucchini. In order of how awesome they are.
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/chocolate-zucchini-muffins/detail.aspx
Seriously delicious. No, seriously -- the spices (mmmm... cardamom) work really well with the cocoa, and the zucchini keeps them nice and moist. Make them. You will love them. I promise.
Also, black bean, corn, and zucchini and enchiladas:
http://simplyrealfood.blogspot.com/2010/06/black-bean-corn-and-zucchini-enchiladas.html
I love, love, LOVE these enchiladas and I make them all the time. Great flavor, super filling, and I don't have that greasy mexican food feeling at the end of the meal.
Zucchini fritters:
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/zucchini_fritters/
Probably not great for you, but totally addicting. Seriously. (also in the fritter family, these delicious corn fritters with sweet chili sauce: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/spicy_corn_fritters/ You should make them too.)
Zucchini stuffed with rice and veggies:
http://zoomyummy.com/2010/08/13/stuffed-zucchini-with-vegetable-rice-and-cheese/
The recipe calls for frozen veggies, but I just chopped up some of the stuff I had on hand and sauteed it a little longer
Zucchini and red pepper lasagna:
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Zucchini-Red-Pepper-Lasagna
It's lasagna, of course its good.
Zucchini Chips:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/baked-zucchini-chips/detail.aspx
I actually haven't tried this one yet, but I'm planning on it.
Zucchini custard pie:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Aunt-Marians-Summer-Squash-Custard-Pie-361910
I don't think this is the recipe that I actually used, but it looks really close.
Also, here's a whole list of zucchini recipes from Simply Recipes, which has never yet failed me for delicious food: http://simplyrecipes.com/tag/Zucchini
If you haven't already, try fried zucchini.
I had wondered about the status of the fish.
Haha this was so funny to read Sarah! We miss your family. Joe and I love to use Zucchini when we stir fry. I cut zucchini, carrots, and onions into thin ribbons and them saute them with soy sauce and garlic powder. Super yummy!
I just throw zucchini and squash into any recipe that calls for onions and/or green peppers. They're all complementary flavors. A good zucchini frittata is tasty. Stir Fry is a classic. You could do stuffed zucchini. We have also enjoyed making zucchini patties/cakes. Let me know if you want any specific recipes, though I'm sure you could find them online. :)
Grandma Hill's Zucchini Soup. Mmmm. I love that stuff to pieces and more importantly, so does Dave! I'll email you the recipe :)
Post a Comment