Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

July 17, 2011

Harry Potter Mania!

*Warning: Very Long and Very NERDY post to follow*

I have long been a huge fan of the Harry Potter books and movies. I have read all of the books many times, and anxiously awaited the release of each new movie, especially the finale, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part 2. I have wanted to do something Harry Potter themed for a while, but never really got around to it. Now that the end is here, I decided to go all out and throw a party. When throwing a Harry Potter Party, you have to go BIG or go home. I tried to make it a really memorable party. Planning it was so much fun. The excitement and anticipation during the preparations was as much fun as the party itself. We had an awesome group of people that were willing to play along and revel in the nerdiness!

The Invitations:

I found a replica of Harry's acceptance letter to Hogwart's and modified it for the invitation to the party.



It was then delivered to all the guests by owl post, of course.






The Sorting Ceremony:

No Harry Potter Party would be complete without a sorting ceremony. So without further ado... 

The Sorting Hat



The Sorting Hat might be my favorite creation for the party. I bought an old leather jacket at D.I., and then cut it up and sewed it back together using a pattern for a witch's hat. The hardest part of the whole process was trying to form the face. I crumpled it up into the best face I could, and then safety pinned the folds so they would stay. Then I sprayed the whole thing with fabric stiffener until it dried pretty hard. When it was dry, I removed the pins and VOILA!... a sorting hat. 

Jonathon was in charge of the actual sorting ceremony. He recorded some little sound clips about each house and then modified his voice using Garage Band. Then he put all the sound clips into itunes and hit the shuffle button. That made the sorting of the teams completely random, and completely awesome! It was pretty darn impressive. 

In the descriptions below, I have included Jonathon's clips because I thought they were pretty clever. During the actual sorting ceremony, all the guests were thinking (and saying) the same thing... 
"Not Slytherin, Not Slytherin!" 






Team Hufflepuff:
Corey and Brittany
"Hmmm... You're kind of hard to read. You're friendly, but I don't really know what to do with you... There's a place for people we don't know what to do with... HUFFLEPUFF!"


Team Ravenclaw:
Michelle and Jared
"Wow! We've got a real Einstein here. Do you even know what your I.Q. is? I know just what to do with you... RAVENCLAW!"


Team Slytherin:
Melodie and Gabe
"Hmm... You love to be in positions of power. You'll step on anyone to get to the top, won't you? SLYTHERIN!"


Team Gryffindor:
Darrell and Stephen
"Now let's see... you're brave and you're daring. Oh, and you're quite charming too if I do say so myself. GRYFFINDOR!"


The Food:

Shortly after the sorting ceremony, we had "The Welcoming Feast". All of the food served came from the Harry Potter books. I even found them on Harry Potter Wiki (Did you even know such a thing existed?) and printed out a little description of the food and where it was mentioned. The majority of food mentioned in the books were desserts and sweets, so our spread had plenty of those items, but I tried to have some "healthy" appetizers too. 

The appetizers:

*ham and cheese rolls
*Vol-au-vents 
*English Muffins
*Fruit

Desserts/Honeydukes Sweets:

*Treacle Tart (Harry's favorite food-- made from golden syrup and black treacle found at our local Bristish food shop)
*Pumpkin Pasties 
*Chocolate Frogs (Thanks for the frog mold, Hannah!)
*Peppermint Toads
*Golden Snitches (Ferrero Rocher chocolates with wax paper wings)
*Lemon Drops
*Licorice Wands (licorice dipped in white chocolate)
*Jelly slugs

And of course, BUTTERBEER!  

Jonathon whipped up a mean batch of butterbeer. It was extremely tasty. He used cream soda mixed with butterscotch ice cream syrup and then a whipped cream and butterscotch foam topping. YUM!

The Welcoming Feast

Treacle Tart and Pumpkin Pasties

Peppermint Toads, Snitches, and Chocolate Frogs / Lemon drops, Licorice Wands, and Jelly Slugs



After dinner, we started with our games. We decided to have a House Cup Tournament between the 4 teams. It involved 3 different games with the winning team receiving the trophy and bragging rights.



Task #1: O.W.L.'s and N.E.W.T.'s (Harry Potter Trivia)

After everyone was sorted, we started our first game. Each team had to answer a series of trivia questions about the Harry Potter books and movies. The O.W.L.'s were multiple choice and intended to be easier, while the N.E.W.T.'s were short answer and were to separate the average followers from the die-hards. The teams all did surprisingly well and Gryffindor and Slytherin tied for first with a score of 56 out of 70 points possible.

A sample N.E.W.T. question:

Q: What was the name of the Weasley's owl that was old and clumsy?   (anyone? anyone?)

A: Errol

The test takers were quite intense with their work...



Task #2: Wizard's Duel

The second game was a wizard's duel between the houses. Each team was given a "cheat sheet" with the names of some spells from Harry Potter. Two people squared off against each other with their wands at the ready. Then they were presented with a situation, and the one to get the correct spell first was declared the victor.

Example:

Situation: Shield Yourself

Correct Spell: Protego

Stephen cleaned house on this game. Seriously, the boy was good! Most of the time he didn't even need to look at the cheat sheet. Gryffindor took the lead on this task, followed closely by Slytherin. Michelle (from Ravenclaw) was definitely my favorite though. She chose the spell she was going to use before the situation was even presented. If that one didn't work, she just started going down the list. She even won a duel that way! Here is a montage of some of the Duels:




 Task #3: Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Bean Taste Test

In the books, they describe jellybeans that are every flavor imaginable. We found some jellybeans made by Jellybelly that duplicated this idea. They were called "Beanboozled." The box contained pairs of jellybeans that looked identical, but one was a good flavor and one was a nasty flavor. The teams were given 13 different bags of beans and had to guess the flavors. Half of the bags were marked with asterisks and had the potential of being a really nasty flavor. The teams didn't have to try the asterisked ones, but if they at least tried them, they got bonus points.

Some sample flavors: cherry, watermelon, strawberry shortcake, toothpaste, dog food, skunk spray

It is really amazing how accurate the flavors are. You would never believe that a jellybean could taste like skunk spray, but it seriously does. After you eat it, your breath even smells like skunk spray. Ewww!

Team Slytherin won the contest and secured the coveted House Cup Trophy by a slim 5 points over Gryffindor. It was not, however, without some difficulty. Poor Melodie got a really good taste of vomit (voted the worst flavor of the bunch). Her quote, "If this isn't a vomit flavored bean, it will be soon." See for yourself:



The House Cup Champions
SLYTHERIN: Melodie and Gabe!



What a FUN Party, and a GREAT way to celebrate before the final Harry Potter movie!



The Movie:

We had to wait until Saturday to see the movie because our insurance company offered us free tickets to an exclusive showing with free snacks and giveaways. It was too good to pass up. I LOVED the movie! I thought the first 3/4 of the movie was absolutely perfect. It moved along so well and stuck so closely to the book. The ending was great cinematically, but the die-hard in me was a little sad that the ending was a bit different than the book. All of the main components were the same, but they drug it out a little bit with Harry and Voldemort, which I thought wasn't necessary. All in all though, I was so happy to have such a great movie to close out the series. What a fun adventure this has been!

At the theater with our VIP tags

At our party, we also watched this youtube video from BYU's Divine Comedy. We were laughing so hard we were crying. If you watch it, make sure to put the closed caption on.


5 comments:

Hannah said...

Absolutely thrilled at the success of your party. It seemed like everyone had a lot of fun. I wish I could have been there though- I would have kicked trash! :) Could you email me a copy of your OWL/NEWT test? Job well done

Chelle said...

That was the coolest party EVER!!! Thank you sooo much for inviting us, we felt privileged to be a part of something so grandiose. You really went all out and worked so hard Sarah and it all paid off! I love how creative you are. Thanks again for such a great night!

Michael said...

Kathryn says: Man, sounds like a great party. Michael and I enjoyed reading about it. Wish we could have joined in the fun. :)

Melodie said...

Best. Party. EVER!!!!

Stefani said...

Just so you know, i love long, nerdy posts - especially when they are about Harry Potter.

And can i just say, Melodie's video makes me very happy :D

And even though Brad only watched his very first Harry Potter movie last night (The Sorcerer's Stone) he would totally dig on the Garage Band/iTunes stuff Jonathon did for the sorting hat - that is so right up his alley.

GREAT JOB! GREAT IDEAS!