Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

January 5, 2011

Holiday Catchup... Ending 2010 on a Very High Note

What an amazing Christmas/New Year's we had! I am still on a high from all of the wonderful times we shared with our families and loved ones. It was truly one of those holidays that I will look back on for the rest of my life with pure happiness. I am sure that this post won't do it justice, but for memories sake, I will try to record a few of the things that made it so great.

The Night Before the Night Before

This family tradition started because Crista was born on Christmas Eve. Mom H. wanted her to have her own special day, so all the traditional Christmas Eve activities got moved to the 23rd. This year we were able to have our party at Grandpa and Grandma H.'s new house. We had a lovely dinner and then had to find our presents by solving clues from a treasure hunt. It is one of my very favorite traditions of Jonathon's family. I was so happy that they decided to do it. We were spoiled by Jonathon's family and now have everything needed to go camping (Jonathon's dream for the last 6 years).

Christmas Eve

We left in the morning on Christmas Eve to go visit my family in Idaho. The 4 1/2 hour drive went smoothly, and we arrived in time for the first of many parties. That night, we had our traditional Christmas Eve party and talent show with my cousins. We sang songs, read from the scriptures, and quoted poetry. This year I wrote a poem and Christian memorized and quoted it. I want to include it here for posterity's sake. I wrote it especially for my two little boys to help them always remember that although Christ was born many years ago, they can still believe and follow him through faith today.

If I Had Been a Shepherd Boy

If I had been a shepherd boy,
    Those many years ago,
I would have seen the brand new star
    And felt its special glow.

If I had been a shepherd boy,
    I would have heard the angels sing,
And felt their glory as they said,
    “Hosanna to the King!”

If I had been a shepherd boy,
    I would have gone to see the Christ,
And believed that he would be the one
    To someday pay the price.

I am not a shepherd boy,
    2000 years too late,
But I can still believe the babe
    Who grew so powerful and great.

I can be just like the star,
    Leading others to the Lord,
Shining light and telling all
    That truth has been restored.

I am not a shepherd boy,
    But I can be just like the angels’ song,
Rejoicing in the Christ child’s life,
    And asking all to come along.

I am just a little boy
    Who feels the Savior’s love,
But that’s what Christmas really is,
    The perfect present from above.

Sarah 2010
(Christian did great quoting it, by the way!)

Fun on the Farm

The boys always love going to Idaho because they get to see and do new things on the farm. This year we decided to take a few pictures out by the haystack. The three little cousins sure were cute together.


Jadyn, Christian, Andrew

Mom and Boys

Grandpa also took the boys out to feed cows. Even though it was freezing cold, Christian and Andrew loved going with him.


Grandpa and boys

Volleyball

My family and some of my cousins are crazy about volleyball. Every time we get together, we have a huge tournament. There are enough of us to make two full teams with plenty to spare. This year we went to the stake center and played for 4 hours straight. We had tons of fun! I could hardly walk the next day, and had a bruise the size of a golfball on my arm, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. Here is the whole group:




Pie Party and Family Breakfast

These two events got started a few years ago, and we enjoy them so much that we continue them every year. Uncle Roger's family hosts a pie party for all of the extended family on Christmas night, and then my family hosts a breakfast later in the week. This year there were about 80 people in attendance to both events. The houses were full of brothers, sisters, cousins, parents, grandparents, but most of all friends. I made my way through the crowds and got to talk to almost everyone there. During one conversation, my Uncle Joe mentioned how unique it is to have a family where everyone loves each other so much and truly enjoys spending time together. There is no need for forced conversations or awkward greetings because the love that is felt is pure. I agreed with him whole-heartedly and have been thinking about this ever since. What a blessing to have a family who loves and supports each other.

Just one of many big group shots... I couldn't squeeze all of us into one picture. 
This is what the "C" family does best: talk and eat!

Mighty Fishermen

My brother Joe, is an avid fisherman. He loves it more than almost anything. He now lives in Texas and has a difficult time finding good fishing, so he was excited to come home and try his luck. Their first adventure was a bust because both Joe and Jonathon came home empty-handed. Joe was practically begging someone to go with him again, so Jonathon agreed to get up at 5 A.M. in 10 degree weather to go fishing. It was well worth the effort because 7 hours later they came home with some monster trout (19 inches) and some good stories.

2 of Jonathon's 5 fish


Daniel's Homecoming

By far, the highlight of the whole trip was the mission homecoming of my brother, Daniel. He served a two year mission in Riverside, California (Spanish speaking), and arrived home on Dec. 28th. Our family hadn't been all together for the last 7 years because one of my brothers was always on a mission or we were "stuck" in NY. It was a long time to wait, but what an amazing time it was. 

The last two weeks of Daniel's mission was a really unique experience. My second brother, Matt, served a Spanish speaking mission 2 years ago, and wanted to go pick up Daniel when he was done. When the mission President caught wind of the idea, he asked if Matt would like to spend the last two weeks as Daniel's companion. He couldn't pass up the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and flew down to Riverside after his finals were over. For the last 10 days, he was set-apart as a missionary and he and Daniel served together. On Christmas, they both called home and we got to talk to them. They were loving every second together and really bonded through the experience. Daniel had a very successful mission and during the last few days, was able to go visit all of his converts to encourage them to continue to live the gospel. These are a few lines from his last letter that really touched me:

"Well this time and this calling is officially ending, and it brings to mind a lot of reflection, a lot of experiences, and a lot of happiness. The memories abound in a plethora of spiritual events and funny run-ins: from walking the halls (and the cafeteria) of the MTC, to hitting the streets of Moreno Valley with my trainer, to the refiner's fire of Corona, to the spiritual harvest in Perris, to sanctification in Riverside. And now I happily go to my grave here in Perris. It is interesting to me: before the mission, everyone said as I was leaving, that I was "dying". I feel like more than anything else, it was a new birth."

What a privilege it is to be around a recently returned missionary who has the light of the gospel so strong around them. My brothers really grew and changed on their missions and I am ever grateful for the gospel and the opportunities it provides.

Elder Matthew and Elder Daniel returning home to a crowd of around 80 adoring relatives and friends. We made quite the scene in the airport!





Other Activities (oops... no pictures)
-pedicures with the girls
-after Christmas shopping (you have to love 75% off sales!)
-lots of games... mostly Settlers of Catan
-family pictures (the three little kids made this an adventure in itself)
-Meeting up with hometown friends Maria and Becky Ann
-A HUGE New Year's Eve Party with the Bournes, Tophams, and Deardens complete with a Ping Pong Tournament (Vaughn won), Rook Tournament (Matt and Katie won), and a round of TDQ's (trivia won by Jonathon)


I honestly don't know how this Christmas season could have been more perfect. I have learned to love and appreciate my siblings and parents so much more as we have gotten older. It felt like heaven to be able to sit and talk all together as a family again. After so many years apart, I have learned to treasure these experiences more because I know how fleeting and far apart they may be. 2010 was a wonderful year and ended on an especially high note. Hopefully, 2011 will be just as kind to our family.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Can you say non-stop party? We had so much fun--I think I'm still trying to recover! Your poem is awesome! I love the picture of Matt and Daniel. Glad we could be there too!

Stefani said...

Thanks for posting this, it felt almost like I was there. I heard reports from mom and dad and it's good to see pictures. Wish I could have been there. We really do have a great family. You had me in tears.