Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

November 23, 2010

Giving Thanks: Day 6

A blizzard is passing through our area tonight and tomorrow. So far it hasn't been as bad as originally thought, but there were definitely some white-out conditions and crazy, blowing snow. We have been through 2 "official" blizzards before; one in Colorado and one in New York.

In Colorado, we got 32 inches of snow in 3 days. I have never seen so much snow. Our flight home for Christmas that year was cancelled. In the end, we had to dig our car out of a 3 foot snowdrift with a baking sheet (no snow shovel... oops!) and drive 17 hours to Idaho for Christmas.

Not looking too excited to start digging our car out

In New York, Jonathon got to take the day off work because of the blizzard. When the snow stopped, we took Christian out sledding (on the same baking sheet; no sled... oops!) We had a wonderful time, followed by our traditional after sledding treat, hot chocolate with marshmallows.

Who knew baking sheets were so fast!

These memories and experiences just remind me that I have always had a safe, warm, and comfortable place to call home. We have never wanted for food, clothing, or anything essential. For that, I am grateful. It is far to easy to think about what we want instead of what we have. We have everything we really need and more. We are truly blessed by a loving Heavenly Father.

I received this quote today from our Relief Society in NY, and it beautifully summed up how I feel today.


Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, 
and into his courts with praise: 
be thankful unto him, and bless his name. 
Psalms 5:4




P.S. We are really moving up in the world... we now have a snow shovel and a sled!

2 comments:

cfish77 said...

I didn't realize that baking sheets had so many uses. Will have to remember those.

Angela said...

you're a step ahead of us! I don't think we have either....and we have been home owners for almost 2 years.