Background: Jonathon got a job at the University of Utah doing research on heart development. During his time at Columbia, his model of study has been the mouse. Now he will be changing to the zebrafish model (see pic to right).We will be moving to Utah at the beginning of August, so we have been anxiously looking at our housing options. After months of looking at various apartment complexes in Utah, we finally decided to look into buying a house. It turns out that a mortgage payment is significantly less than a rent payment in Utah right now, so thanks to our very generous parents, we have been able pursue that option. We did most of the searching on-line, and then my mom volunteered to check out some of the homes for us. We felt like we had some serious options, so at the last minute, we bought Jonathon a ticket on a red-eye flight to go see the homes in person.
I made a list of my top 7 homes and set up a time with the realtor for Jonathon to see them. They started with home number 7 and about 10 minutes later Jonathon called me and said that he really liked this home. After seeing the rest of the homes, we discussed all of the options. Jonathon, Dad H., and Tera all agreed that their favorite home was number 7.
Jonathon then told me that when they walked into the house, sitting on the counter was a bowl with a single zebrafish in it. He said there was a light shining down on the bowl and angelic music playing in the background. It was a sign!
Okay, not exactly.
Still, he thought it was pretty funny/ironic to see the zebrafish sitting there waiting for them. We made an offer on that home on Tuesday, and our offer got accepted on Thursday. Of course, there are still many things that need to be taken care of before we are officially home-owners, but we are on our way.
Another ironic thing is that home #7 was a last-second addition to the list. I hadn't really considered it before because it was a bit further north than we were originally looking, but it was in our price-range, so I added it to the bottom of the list just before Jonathon left. I'm sure glad I did!
We are so excited. It will be a great place for our family. It is nearly 3 times as big as our current apartment with 4 bedrooms 2 bathrooms, and a huge playroom. We are still kind of in shock at how it has all come together. Here are some sneak-peeks:
The Front
The backyard from the deck.
This is only a small portion because it is on a double lot. The yard is HUGE... Yay!
Anyway, we are feeling very blessed that we have found a good home for our family. We are expecting to close at the end of July, so hopefully, everything will go through okay.
Keep your fingers crossed for us...
10 comments:
Yay! I love it when I find "zebra fish" in my life. It'll be nice to have you back in the west!
That looks so awesome!!! So glad it's all coming together for you!
Congrats. I'll have to come see it when you get here.
Woohoo! Major congrats! And the yard looks so awesome!
So great! So many of us apartment dwellers dream of this day. Congrats!
Wonderful! I'm really happy for you. Looks like it will be a great space for your family.
You got it?! YAY!!! So happy for you. xo
Congrats! The house is gorgeous.
Wow! I hope everything worked out! What a great house and what an awesome yard!
We are excited for you guys to come. Where is the house?
Derek
Post a Comment