I've never pulled an all-nighter... until Saturday night. I wanted to sleep, believe me, but Andrew was screaming pretty much the entire night and had a high fever. Christian was sick too, but at least he was consolable. Why do kids always get sick on the weekends? After looking at our options (2 urgent care clinics that were over $100 each and an hour away by train), we decided to head to the ER and pay our $50 copay. It is ridiculous that it comes down to that, but what is a Mom to do? We showed up at the ER at 6 AM with 2 sick boys who had moaned and cried all night. Do you know what they told us... it is just the common cold and give them ibuprofen every 6 hours.
Are you kidding me?
I know my child doesn't scream all night from a runny nose. After Andrew was examined by the 3rd doctor, they finally looked at his throat and said that it was really red and that was probably the problem. They also noticed some sores on his hands and mouth and said they were probably from the virus causing his sore throat that was transferred when he sucked on his fingers, and we should just watch them. We left feeling defeated, annoyed and extremely tired.
The next morning, after another sleepless night, I took Andrew to our pediatrician to check his sores and see if we could get some answers for the high fever and insomnia. Less than one minute after I walked through the door, she diagnosed him with a severe case of viral herpes simplex 1 (cold sores). She looked in his mouth and saw cold sores all over his cheeks, tongue, and throat. Uh, ER doctors, what were you looking at? The cold sores were also all over his fingers and lips. He has around 20 cold sores that we can count and maybe more in his mouth.
I'm sure the pain is severe and he refuses to eat or sleep much. At least now we know what we are up against. He is on 3 different medications and hopefully within 5-7 days he will be back to normal. Unfortunately, since the sores are highly contagious and really dangerous to the eyes, we have to cover his hands with gloves as much as possible to keep the sores from spreading. Poor little boy... at least he is still smiling for the camera.
* Christian's fever broke shortly after we returned from the ER. Apparently, some kids catch the virus and it causes a fever, but doesn't really affect them in any other way.
9 comments:
Oh no! I'm so sorry! Being a parent is awesome, right? I hope your boys feel better soon.
Ps that first picture is pretty cute, although i'm sure you would have gone without paying for those expensive ankle brackets. Little buddies in the ER.
Super sadness! I hope he's better soon. ... The sores inside the mouth are supposed to be very painful. Poor Andrew! Can't blame him for not wanting to eat.
Oh, that sounds awful--for him and you. Wish you the best.
Oh man! That sounds miserable for ALL of you! At least you know that is wrong now. Poor little man. I have never heard of that many cold sores at one time! OUCH!
We had a similar story to the ER Dr. When Wes was 2, he screamed ALL night Uncontrollably! I finally took him to the ER at 4:00 in the morning. They said he had the Croop (which he really might have had) and gave him a steroid shot. I brought him home and he proceeded to cry for another 3-4 hours (maybe more). I brought him the our fam Dr the next morning and they said the steroids made it worse and the ER doc's shouldn't have done that. What a waste of money, time, sleep etc! SO I guess the moral of the story is don't trust ER doctors (?)
That picture rocks! You'll be glad you have it.
I'm so sorry about all the craziness. I say in the middle of the night or early morning is when drs. should appease anyone who walks through their door with lots of sympathy and some sort of antibiotic or something (at the very least valium;)
Sad for the boys and the parents too! Here's hoping for a speedy recovery. I like the "Here comes trouble" t-shirt.
ohhh mmmyy goodnes!!! Poor you guys! you must be dying. I am soooo sorry
Oh man, sounds like a pretty miserable weekend for everyone. And here's my obviously inexperienced question: How does one ever catch up on missed sleep like that with two sick boys? Ugh, sounds like a yucky week of walking around exhausted.
That's tough Sarah. Lauren had that same thing when she was about 7 or 8. She couldn't eat because of the pain and was so grouchy. You're a warrior!
--Marsha
Post a Comment