Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

April 26, 2009

New Apartment

Two weeks ago, we moved into our third apartment in the last two years. It is the smallest of the three, but we are completely loving it. We are no longer subleasing and were able to sign our own contract.  Having our own furniture and being able to decorate the way we want has made all the difference. We are all so much happier. It is still just a one bedroom, so the boys have the bedroom, and we put our bed in the living room.  We lovingly refer to it as our "one bedroom studio." This apartment is the nicest of the three we have lived in. For the first time, we have a dishwasher! When we moved in, I washed all of our dishes, even if they were supposedly clean. It was a happy day! Also, the church, park, and subway are all just steps away. 

Living in New York has taught us a lot about life that we can hopefully remember when we leave here.  Our motto is "Keep it Simple!" Moving so many times and living in such small spaces has made this a necessity. You simply cannot keep unused or unnecessary items.  Each time we move, I throw out more and more things to consolidate our belongings.  It is very cathartic to give away unused clothing and pass on new toys in the store because we don't want the added clutter. The dream house we have always envisioned is getting smaller and smaller because we know what is really necessary. In a way, it is nice to live in a small space.  Our family is always close together and there isn't nearly as much to clean :) Don't get me wrong... I would still love a nice house that is more comfortable, but hopefully when the time comes, I will recognize what is enough. Now, for our families (and anyone else interested), here are some pictures of the new place.



Left: Our "eat-in" kitchen with dishwasher
Right: Our bed occupying a portion of the living room


Our living space
We love being able to use our own furniture and were able to supplement it with some awesome Craigslist finds (the new couch).


Left: the bathroom
Right: The boys' play-area/bedroom.  There is also a crib on one wall and a toddler bed on the other. I love that they have their own space where they (mostly Christian) can make a mess and I can close the door. 

6 comments:

Natalie said...

I'm glad you're liking your new place. It's probably good to be so close to church, etc. And no kidding about the "simplifying" thing. I am learning that less is more as I'm getting us ready to move as well. Oh man, what a pain! I hope I learn my lesson this time!

Stefani said...

I have learned the hard way, bigger house, bigger mess. And as long as we're on the subject... bigger kids, bigger mess;)

Tamra said...

I don't envy the moving so often, but I LOVED my time in a small apartment! Less cleaning meant we had more time to just be together as a family. I like the house we live in, but it's really small (built in the 40's, when they thought that a small house was sufficient), and I'm realizing that I really don't wish for anything bigger. ... Hurray for small, happy spaces!

Malesa said...

That looks like a great apartment! Eat in kitchens are the best. I'm glad that you guys like it.

Derek and Jamie said...

Wow! Derek told me your place was nice, but I love it! I'm glad you guys are happier there, it really is cute and looks comfortable!

Anna said...

I like how you decorate! Beautiful space.