Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

March 25, 2009

Ghrelin is dispensable for embryonic pancreatic islet development and differentiation

What?

That, my friends, is the title of Jonathon's first publication.  It was accepted in the science journal entitled "Regulatory Peptides." Not exactly dentist office reading material, but exciting none the less.  HOORAY!  

As a graduate student, Jonathon has been researching the development of the pancreas in hopes of someday finding a reason/cure for diabetes. A graduate student's career is based on the number and quality of publications that they can produce. In order to graduate, it is usually necessary to have at least one publication. We are so happy to have this first one under our belts. Meanwhile, he is working on projects that will, hopefully, produce 3 more publications by the time he graduates.  I am so happy for him and proud of all of his hard work.  If you are interested in seeing his name in print, here is a link to the online copy. It only shows the title and abstract for free, but it is doubtful that any of our readers will want or be able to understand more than that. It is all very technical.  Congratulations, honey!

9 comments:

Stefani said...

"Holy Dictionary! Batman!" I'm not even sure I am going to try and understand that. But I do appreciate the brainpower and work that went into this. Congratulation!! May there be many more "hippopotomonstrosesquipedalianism publications"

(I think that is a made up word meaning "big words")

Angela said...

WOW! This is so exciting! I hope this is only the beginning!

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Cuz!

Carolyn

Malesa said...

Congrats! That's awesomeness to the world.

Anonymous said...

What is Ghrelin? Spell check doesn't even know it. Awesome work dude. We knew you could do it.

Love the Hill Family

Gaylene said...

Congratulations Jonathon!! I think that is wonderful. Oh, and I can't believe you are 28. Happy Birthday!! I just happened to be looking through some old photo albums and showed my kids some pictures of you when you were a baby. I said, "that's Jonathon." Their eyes popped out and said "really?" I guess it's hard to imagine people you know as adults ever being a baby. You were a very cute baby too.

janbang said...

Sarah,

I'm coming to NYC April 22-27...It would be fun to see you for a little bit. Let me know where you live.

Jan Bangerter
jan.bangerter@yahoo.com

Chelle said...

Sweet Dude! Congratulations on the incredible study! We were going to read the article TONIGHT, but we decided that the excitement might prevent us from getting good sleep. We will read it this weekend and give you our critic!

Congratulations professor.

Jared

Chelle said...

I meant critique.