Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

February 9, 2009

Scary Clown Dreams

Since moving to New York (and watching way too many crime shows on television), I have been paranoid about always keeping our front door locked.  Unfortunately, Jonthon doesn't feel that same sense of paranoia and always forgets to lock it...until now.

Jonathon and I were sitting in our front room watching television.  It was around 9:30 at night, when our doorbell rang.  I stood up, but before I could even move, the door started to open. Jonathon (on the couch) quickly yelled "hello?", but the door kept opening. I had a direct view of the entry way.  I also yelled "hello?" Finally, the door opened wide enough that I could see who was responsible.  

To my surprise/shock/horror, there was a large man in a clown suit staring at me.  

He only had the door half-way open, so all I could see were his bright, patterned pants and his painted face that was definitely not smiling.

In a matter of seconds, my mind flipped through all of the gloom and doom scenarios that I had seen and heard involving psychotic intruders entering homes.  Luckily, before I had a nervous breakdown on the spot, the clown looked up, said sorry and walked out the door. 

Jonathon and I both looked at each other.  We had no idea what had just happened.  We assumed that it had been an innocent mistake...but a CLOWN?  I was shaking slightly, and my heart was beating faster than normal as I quickly locked the front door and proceeded to "lecture" Jonathon about remembering to keep it locked.  

Not five minutes later, there was a knock at the door.  This time Jonathon went.  Our neighbor from upstairs gave us a smile and apologized for his friend (the clown).  Apparently, he had just gotten off of work, and was tired and disoriented.  He had gotten off on the wrong floor and walked into our apartment by accident.  He just wanted to reassure us that no strange clowns were stalking us.  

The explanation calmed our nerves a little, but I can't guarantee that I won't be having scary clown dreams in the near future.
 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This story is AWESOME. And really, really scary. I would have been completely freaked out.

Derek and Jamie said...

Your picture of the joker from Batman makes this story even more intense! The question is, what is a guy doing in a clown suit at 9:30 at night?! Do kids have birthday parties that late?... Random

Gaylene said...

That is so scary! Tanner (my 13-year-old) just told me the other day that the thing that scares him the most is clowns. Why is that? Clowns are supposed to be fun and funny but oh they are creepy. Glad it was just all a big mistake.

Stefani said...

I can't believe how many people are freaked out by clowns. I'm sure it has to do with movies like Batman. I'm glad it wasn't a psychotic clown at your door. I'll take tired and disoriented any day.

Jessica said...

FA---REAKY! I really don't know what I would've done. Glad everyone is safe... at least physically. I would've had some emotional scars for sure!

Natalie said...

unbelievable!