Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

January 20, 2009

Introducing...


Andrew 
Reed 

January 18, 2009
Time: 1:31 A.M.
Weight: 8 lbs. 8 oz.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mommy and Baby Andrew

The Proud Papa

Big Brother Christian

Here is the story (according to Jonathon):

Sarah began feeling contractions at about 8pm on Saturday night. However, they weren't very hard, so we decided to watch the second half of "Pride and Prejudice" while we were timing them. After the movie, we called Sarah's doctor and told him how close and long the contractions were.  He said, "Good, you will probably need to go to the hospital in several hours, so we will probably see you tomorrow morning."* We kept timing them as we waited to see how things were going. Christian took 32 hours to come after Sarah first felt contractions, so we were in no hurry. Around midnight they were getting really strong, so we called our friend Derek to stay with Christian. When Derek came over, I chatted with him for a little while (Sarah adds: "while I was writhing in excruciating pain"), and finally decided to get going at about 1 am. We hailed a cab and headed for the hospital.  The poor cab driver kept driving faster and faster with every contraction and got us there in record time. At the hospital, the nurse took one look at Sarah and got her straight into a delivery room. I filled out the paperwork and walked in just in time to see Andrew's head come out. That's right, she gave birth no more than 20 minutes after we got there with no medication at all (although at the end she was screaming for drugs). It was so fast that there wasn't a doctor present (other than a brand new resident who was being coached by the nurse), and Sarah had yet to be officially admitted to the hospital. How is that for speed and efficiency? A few minutes later and Andrew would have been born in the back of a cab in New York City.  Anyway, fathers are not allowed to stay at night (we are technically visitors), so I was home by 5 am.

*Sidenote:  The funniest part of the adventure happened the morning after at around 7:30 a.m.  Sarah received a phone call from her doctor asking if she was still feeling contractions and if she was making any progress. Oops, I guess they didn't even have time to call him.

Sarah and Andrew are both doing great and Christian says that he "just loves" his baby brother. He has spent most of the time since Sarah got home showing Andrew his cars and ball. We are so grateful to all those who watched Christian both before and after the birth. We are especially indebted to Derek who had a long and sleepless night.  

18 comments:

Jessica said...

Congrats Sarah!

Bethany said...

He's precious. I love his head of hair! Glad to hear that mom and baby are doing well.

Jessica said...

Congrats! So glad he came so quickly (also glad it wasn't in the back of a cab!).

I can't believe his hair! So cute...

Christian is going to be such a great big brother :)

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! Good job guys!

Stefani said...

Amazingly enough I didn't know his name until now. You'd think that with blogs and facebook and email and telephones and a large family I would have heard it somewhere by now. I even missed it when Tiffany and Amanda came into YW on Sunday and told everyone. Anyway, it couldn't be a cuter name, and it couldn't be attached to a cuter baby, that couldn't have come from a cuter family. Congratulations!!

arly said...

Many congratulations!

Derek and Jamie said...

Congratulations you guys! He is dang cute! Sarah, I'm sorry we didn't get you out the door sooner... Jonathon and I shouldn't have been so eager to chit chat at 1 in the morning!

Gaylene said...

I am so glad you made it to the hospital!! I don't think delivering in the back of a cab would be at all fun. Anyway, he is so cute. Congratulations and I hope all goes well in these first few months. Just remember, you will get to have a normal night's sleep again some day.

Chelle said...

He is gorgeous! wow, I love those luscious lips! So good to talk to you Sarah, and I still can't believe your harrowing story of almost having the babe in a cab...that sure would have made an interesting story! and isn't it crazy how big christian looks compared to Andrew? You forget how tiny they are!

Natalie said...

Way to go Sarah! I'm so glad this birth was quicker than the last one! Andrew is ADORABLE!!! I hope you have a quick recovery :)

Kristen said...

That is quite a story (especially about the Dr. calling after the birth) Congratulations and glad you made it to the hospital

Melodie said...

This us an amazing story. I can't believe it! I am so proud of Sarah for going natural (whether she wanted to or not!) Congrats, guys!

Celeste said...

Congratulations!!! Its so fun to have two boys. They will be such great friends!

Tamra said...

Many congrats!

I can't believe they wouldn't let fathers stay the night. That's bizarre to me. But I suppose with Christian at home, there was a good reason to leave anyways.

Glad you didn't have the baby in the back of the cab, but you missed out on a great birthing story!

Boyd and Becky Ann Kent said...

Sarah,

Hooray! I find it a little ironic that my Andrew came to fast for drugs too. It was quite an experience. He really is a cute baby. I'm glad everything worked out so well for you. Hope your catching some sleep and enjoying that newborn smell.

The Cooking Schaack said...

CONGRATS!! I LOVE HIS NAME HE IS A CUTIE!!

Molly said...

Congrats, you guys! That is so exciting! I hope you guys are doing great and let me know next time you're in Hollister. I'd love to see you!

Kathryn Lichfield said...

Yay! Congrats!! He is too cute!