Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

November 25, 2008

Elder Holland in New York

On Sunday we had a very special stake conference with Elder Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.  He was in the area doing a training session and asked our stake if we would like to have him speak.  As our Stake President put it, "There was no way we were going to say no."  We met at a large theatre in midtown where we could all gather together. It turned out to be a great meeting and really answered my questions and doubts (see previous post).  

He specifically addressed the recent negative publicity the church has received due to political issues and spoke of trials in general.  He compared these ideas to the story of Christ calming the stormy sea. He said "when life brings us trials, too many of us step up to the side of the ship, do a half-gaynor into the water and attempt to save ourselves by doggie-paddling to shore. Instead, we need to have faith in Christ and hunker down in the boat with Him." He then mentioned Christ's admonition to his disciples when they woke him:"Why are you so fearful?" I asked myself that same question, and realized how odd it was for the disciples (and me) to be so fearful when Christ was right there on the boat with them.  If we are with the Savior, we really have no reason to fear.  I clearly and powerfully felt that Elder Holland was speaking as one called of God. My take-home message was that right now is the time for hunkering down and refocusing our lives on the Savior rather than relying on our own limited understanding and abilities.  I came away from the meeting refreshed and renewed, and so grateful to have prophets and apostles on the Earth at this time.    

3 comments:

Stefani said...

Thanks for sharing this Sarah. I love that we have people of influence that we can trust implicitly and don't have to worry or second guess. I wish I was able to hear the whole talk, it's sound just like what I need. I'm gonna have to remember the part about calming the waters and about hunkering down. This is my own personal devotional today, thanks!

Elder H. was just here a couple of weeks ago and spoke in the Santa Cruz stake, some of my friends went and they said it was really great!!

Stefani said...

sarah, sorry, it's me again. Would you mind emailing me? I have some questions about your blog layout.
stefanimeyer@mac.com

Gaylene said...

Great message. Thanks for sharing.