My last week here. I have been working on analyzing the data we generated, and I have taken some time to enjoy a few last-minute activities before I go.
In the lab, I assembled our latest draft of the fire sponge of the genome and started to download other genomes for comparison. I initially felt like we had not gotten a very complete DNA sequence, but comparisons showed that we are already better than half of the sponge genomes out there. With a little more work, I think we can create a high-quality reference for other researchers. I also started looking at the RNA data we generated, but I am still learning about what we found there. One last thing I needed to do for my Fulbright was to give a lecture on how to do a PhD in the US. I had no idea how many people would come, so I was surprised when more than 45 students showed up. It went really well, and I think we were able to take away a significant barrier for many students who want to do a Ph.D. abroad. With that done, we were able to meet all of our goals. I spent a lot of the summer wondering if we would succeed, but it all came together in the end. I am so grateful for the many people who helped make it possible.
The most remarkable thing I did was SCUBA dive. I got certified last winter, but we ended up collecting all our samples in shallow water, so I had never actually done SCUBA in the ocean. Emilio knows a great guide, Robson, at a dive shop near my apartment, so he arranged for us to go on Wednesday. It was such an incredible trip. We dove at Porto da Barra beach, so we just walked right into the water. It is the same place we snorkeled and collected samples, but the view is very different when you are 30 feet down. We saw several beautiful tropical fish, sponges, and anemones.
One of my bucket list items was to swim with a sea turtle. Shortly after Sarah and I were married, we went with her family on a trip to Hawaii. While there, we took turns snorkeling. Some of Sarah's cousins saw a sea turtle along the reef, so I unsuccessfully tried to find one. I decided that I had to swim with sea turtles one day. Emilio had mentioned this to the guide, so our eyes were peeled for one. However, after about 20 minutes, I had already used all my air, so we had to swim to shore to change tanks, which took time. We went back out looking, but we were running out of time and had yet to see a single turtle. I was about to give up. Suddenly, our guide, who was on the other side of a large rock, waved us over. When we swam around, a sea turtle was resting on the sea floor. As we approached, it started to swim, and we were able to swim along with it for a while. I could not have choreographed it better.
After diving, we went to a restaurant along the beach famous for its feijoada, a black bean and pork chili universally loved in Brazil. Unfortunately, they only make it on the weekends. We had an excellent filet mignon, so it turned out just fine. The real treat was the wonderful view of the waves crashing on the rocks as we ate.
On Saturday, I decided to go diving again. There is no ocean where I live, so this was my last chance. I walked down to the dive shop (it is crazy to think I live so close to such fantastic wildlife), got on my equipment, and walked down to the same beach. This time, we went in a different direction around an old fort at the edge of the beach. Although I did not see any sea turtles, I saw a sea horse clinging to the rocks and some new types of fish. I also got to swim through a tunnel made by a partial collapse in an 18th-century sea wall at the site. It was also just great to be able to practice my SCUBA skills. This time, I paid better attention to my breathing, so my air lasted much longer.
Emilio and his wife Fernanda are determined to make sure I get to do everything I wanted to during this trip, so they met up with me later that day at the same restaurant for Feijoada. It did not disappoint. Neither did the great conversation and beautiful views.
Next week will start with a lot of sad goodbyes and end with many happy reunions. I can't believe the last four months have passed so quickly, but it is time to move on to the next phase in my life, whatever that might hold.
.jpeg)
.jpeg)


No comments:
Post a Comment