Gordon B. Hinckley said, "My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive." This year we hope to focus more on the positive blessings in our life. Hopefully, this blog is a source of optimism for us now and in the future.

June 25, 2023

Week 8 in Brazil (Jonathon's Update)

Week 8 in Brazil:

This week might be the calm before the storm. Saturday was São João, the chief holiday during Festa Junina (you can learn more here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festa_Junina), so I worked from home on Thursday and Friday, and most things were closed on Saturday. We took advantage by taking it easy as well.
During the beginning of the week, I continued to work on DNA sequencing (we still have issues getting high-quality DNA out of the sea sponges), and we continued our routine of going to the beach and watching the sunset from the lighthouse (now a weekly tradition).

Sarah and I also had a wonderful dinner with Emilio Lanna and his wife, Fernanda (why did I not take a picture!). It was Sarah's first time meeting them, and we had a great time eating delicious Italian food and chatting. We started speaking in Portuguese, which gave Sarah and me some good practice, and then we switched to English to give our hosts a chance to practice.
We also did a fantastic cake-testing night where we bought slices of 5 different flavors of cake and then shared them so we could try them all. I don't know how to really explain it, but cake is just better in Brazil.

Finally, we had a busy Sunday at church. I gave a talk in Sacrament meeting, Sarah played the piano, and Christian and Andrew helped bless and pass the sacrament. I guess we are fully integrated now : )
This coming week includes Sarah's parents coming into town and then all of us traveling to Manaus to meet up with my brother and his daughter to see the Amazon. I won't post next week, but I should have a lot to talk about when we get back!

No comments: